Class of 2022 Outcomes: Kacey Wheeler Makes Her Way Into Occupational Therapy

Jun 30th, 2022

A06D3B78-F009-4306-9A03-50E9DBE60258-e1656010515985.jpeg
Kacey Wheeler
Louisville, Kentucky
M.A. in Communication and Business Leadership

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2022:

Name: Kacey Wheeler

Hometown: Louisville, Kentucky

Major:  M.A. in communication and business leadership

Post-graduation plans: Wheeler will be attending Washington University in St. Louis to pursue a Doctor of Occupational Therapy.

How HPU helped you get there: “The professors at HPU gave me opportunities I would not have found anywhere else, such as taking a study abroad trip to Nepal and conducting research in the Human Biomechanics and Physiology Lab. These experiences set me apart in interviews. I was encouraged throughout my undergraduate and graduate journey to aim for more than I thought possible. I also visited the Office of Career and Professional Development and received help with application essays and preparing for interviews.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The most impactful mentor I had at HPU was Dr. Tony Kemerly. He taught his classes in a way that challenged my view of the world. He was not only my professor but my academic mentor and pushed me to pursue my dream of becoming an occupational therapist even when I didn’t think I would make it.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was not some momentous turn of events, but was during a normal day when I walked into a lab to do research and stood in awe for a second. At that moment, I realized I was so blessed to have found faculty willing to teach me on their own time and help me discover a passion in such an incredible facility. I had many similar moments during my time at HPU. From deep conversations in class to my professor giving me Goldfish for a snack, I was constantly reminded how extraordinary HPU is.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “Because of HPU’s inspiring environment, students are encouraged to get out of their dorms, foster connections with others, find a passion and succeed in classes. The classical music that echos across the Kester International Promenade calms students before tests, and various career fairs motivate students to find their best fit. All of these elements contribute to such a high outcome rate.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “HPU improved my confidence in my abilities. Coming into my freshman year, I was timid. Now, I am leaving HPU independent and eager to see what my future holds.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of the opportunities and people at HPU. It is easy to stay in your room and believe that you can do things on your own, but at HPU, you are on such a unique campus with something for everyone. No other college campus has professors who care so deeply for your education and wellbeing or as many fun things to do.”