Class of 2022 Outcomes: Matthew Redbord Spreads His Wings in U.S. Air Force

Jun 04th, 2022

Redbord.jpg
Matthew Redbord
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Finance
U.S. Air Force

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2022:

Name: Matthew Redbord

Hometown: Fort Mill, South Carolina

Major: Finance with a minor in mathematics

Post-graduation plans: Redborn joins the U.S. Air Force as a Second Lieutenant where he will undergo undergraduate pilot training. In the 55-week training program, Redborn will earn his wings to fly for the U.S. Air Force and has ambitions to fly fighter aircrafts.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU provided me mentorship and instilled in me a growth mindset. At HPU, I realized the only limitations in life are ones I put on myself. When HPU helped me remove those limitations, I set the largest goal I could think of while also serving my country: Commission as a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot. Earning my slot in pilot training brought me closer to that dream, and HPU provided me the resources to get there.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The mentor with the most sustaining impact on me was Dr. Qubein. I hosted a podcast through Air Force ROTC and invited him on the show. He accepted and provided inspiring lessons on leadership. This gesture spoke volumes on how Dr. Qubein serves people and sets an example of the kind of leader I aspire to be. Before college, I had a lot of untapped potential, but after receiving mentorship from Dr. Qubein, I developed an overachieving mentality, pushing the envelope in everything I do.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Introducing Lee Greenwood at the Train concert in the Qubein Arena was my most impactful moment. Walking in front of the crowd in my ROTC cadet uniform felt surreal. Before I said a word, the crowd cheered and applauded. I knew they weren’t applauding me; they were applauding the uniform. HPU is a God, family, country school, and that night, I felt the country part. I realized the value of service HPU and the community holds regard for. It means the line of work and service I am committed to matters. That night lit a fire in me to serve my country with integrity and excellence.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “The inspiring environment fosters a positive attitude of gratitude. At HPU, I walked to class thinking, ‘How could you not be in an awesome mood when you study at a place like this?’ When you take a moment to smile and see how awesome campus is, you practice gratitude. That practice expands beyond HPU and into the world. Being alive and having freedom as an American is an awesome thing, and HPU helped me realize that. I embrace the world and welcome challenges because I am ready.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “HPU helped me develop a growth mindset, taught me to think independently and critically, instilled a sense of ownership and discipline, and exposed the powers of gratitude and positivity to me.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Have the courage to embrace what’s uncomfortable. This advice reinforced itself many times during my time at HPU. Nothing meaningful happens under the blanket of comfort. The easy weekend, sleeping in, a cheat meal, skipping gym day — it’s all comfortable, but there’s no growth. I’ve reflected on many uncomfortable conversations, long days, tough workouts and noticed how much better of a person I am because of it. Choosing an uncomfortable lifestyle is the result of many micro-choices with macro-results as the leader I developed into.”