Internship Profile: Alivia Mountford Aspires for Interior Design Success

Jun 16th, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles  

Name: Alivia Mountford

Hometown: Ellington, Connecticut

Major: Interior design

Internship: Mountford joins Progressive AE in Charlotte, North Carolina, as an interior design intern. During her internship, she completes all types of design tasks using Revit and AutoCAD, goes on field sites, communicates with contractors and clients, and more.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has prepared me by providing opportunities to challenge myself. One thing I love about HPU’s interior design program is the flexibility in the designs you create — there isn’t a single task for every student. This provides me with room to grow and work outside of my comfort zone. I have also had assistance with my resume from my career advisor in the Office of Career and Professional Development.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor has been Professor Brandon Jones in the interior design department. He always pushes students to do something different or unfamiliar to improve our skills. He keeps it real and is honest about struggles in the professional design world and helps us find solutions to those problems.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was when guest professional designers critiqued my design presentation and gave me high praise for my project. In that moment, I knew I would be okay in the design field and that my professors provide me the support and correction I need to thrive in the professional world.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future? “My internship experience has been hard work, but so much fun. I am doing tasks I love, communicating with clients and traveling to sites. This is preparing me for my future by giving me a sneak peek at what that life will be like. Living on my own in a big city is helping me grow into a more confident person and designer, too.”