Internship Profile: Juliana Maniscalco Designs with Intention

Jul 21st, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles  

Name: Juliana Maniscalco 

Hometown: Holtsville, New York

Major: Interior design

Internship: Maniscalco joins Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Design and Construction, an in-house design team within Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. In her role as an interior design intern, she works with interior designers, architects, project managers and other professionals to ensure the environment at each of Memorial Sloan Kettering’s locations is designed to better the experience of the hospital’s patients.

How HPU helped you get there: “My professors at HPU have helped me by working with me to refine my portfolio. Career advisors in the Office of Career and Professional Development also helped me build a creative resume and LinkedIn profile that stood out.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Kathryn Brandt, instructor of home furnishings and interior design. I took her interior design courses my sophomore year after officially being accepted into the Interior Design Program and it solidified that the program was right for me!”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Each week, I am assigned a new project and am using the programs I’ve learned in my classes at HPU, and I now see how they’re applied in the professional world. I also join in on meetings about current progress on the many projects other team members are working on. In these meetings, I see everything we learn in class applied in a real-world environment, providing me a greater understanding of the aspects of designing a space within a health care setting.”