Class of 2022 Outcomes: Rima Boulos Makes HPU History

Aug 19th, 2022

IMG_6243.jpg
Rima Boulos
Advance, North Carolina
Master of Business Administration

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2022:

Name: Rima Boulos

Hometown: Advance, North Carolina

Major: Master of Business Administration

Post-graduation plans: Boulos will attend Liberty University to pursue her Ph.D. in organization and management with a leadership concentration.

How HPU helped you get there: “A major personal goal that HPU helped me achieve is graduating with my MBA at age 20. I received an official certificate from HPU stating I am the youngest graduate student to complete any master’s degree program from the university. Having such a profound experience with the entirety of my graduate degree at HPU encouraged me to pursue greater endeavors to start my Ph.D. in a field that I’m passionate about — leadership.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Rhonda Butler was my most impactful mentor. She was a real-life example of what I want to be like in the future and helped me see that there’s nothing I can’t do if I put my mind to it. Dr. Butler is a natural leader and helped me see what it looks like to go for opportunities. She encouraged me to pursue my goals and to work hard for them. HPU President Dr. Nido Qubein was also an inspiration to me. Sharing the same ethnicity, I was able to relate right away. Seeing him lead transformation on campus and his achievements as a professional was motivational. His charisma, leadership and communication style inspired me to learn to be a better leader.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was when I received an official certification stating I was the youngest student in recorded history to complete a graduate degree at HPU. This was overwhelming because I had listened to my mentors and leaders, and my hard work paid off. It was a big deal! My greatest moment was when I walked across that stage on May 7, 2022. As I shook President Qubein’s hand, I was reminded of my younger self when I was told I had 24 hours to live. I was diagnosed with a rare childhood cancer and contracted meningitis, which caused a stroke on my right side. As I was in a coma, doctors shared the news with my parents that they should make arrangements for my funeral. After being on life support, I was overcome by emotions of the grace and mercy I was granted for a second chance at life. I was reminded of the years of therapy and struggle that was overcome and how it was all worth it to walk across that stage, to make history at HPU as the youngest graduate student. I’m so thankful for my time at HPU and the impact that it had on my life.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “One thing that caught my attention at HPU is the people there want you to succeed. The campus is constantly hosting speakers and experts in residence, through Access to Innovators, opening doors of opportunities for students to grab and learn from. It is certainly not coincidental. There’s a reason other schools don’t have a 98% post-graduation placement rate. When students know that they have a support system, they are more willing to get out of their comfort zones, build on their confidence and put themselves out there to succeed.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “The acknowledgment of opportunity is a life skill HPU helped me develop. Being able to watch and talk with successful leaders and speakers in such close proximity showed me that opportunity is everywhere — but it’s only available to those who reach for it. When we use the opportunities given to us, not only do we grow but we make the world a better place by inspiring others to do the same.”

What are the values and virtues HPU’s campus helped you develop that you’ll take with you after graduation? “Being at HPU for such a short time, I came to value my time on campus and in class much more than I did at previous institutions. It made me appreciate the privilege of being there and being a part of its history. HPU also sparked my appreciation for great leaders and the mountains they climbed to get to where they are today. From the statues of historical icons to professors and President Nido Qubein himself — they all have overcome battles and capitalized on the opportunities given to them.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take the initiative to find opportunities and use them to help you become a more well-rounded person.”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!