Class of 2022 Outcomes: Sydney Sullivan Assists Attorneys

Aug 03rd, 2022

IMG_4612-e1658510229737.jpg
Sydney Sullivan
Queens, New York
M.A. in Communication and Business Leadership
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2022:

Name: Sydney Sullivan

Hometown: Queens, New York

Major: M.A. in communication and business leadership with a minor in nonprofit leadership and management

Post-graduation plans: Sullivan joins Sullivan & Cromwell LLP in Manhattan, New York, as an executive coordinator. In her role, she serves as a liaison for the executive director and coordinates company events for attorneys, partners, directors and staff.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU’s Student Success Program and Office of Career and Professional Development helped me get where I am. As a first-year student, I decided to change my major and declare a minor. At first, I didn’t think I would be able to graduate on time after completing an entire year of science-related courses. Fortunately, my Success Coach Britt Carl and career advisors Emily Long and Dr. Doug Hall, helped me navigate this transition seamlessly. I also had teachers who believed in me and saw my potential. And the clubs and organizations I was involved in aligned with my passions and pushed me further to success.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Dr. Doug Hall, vice president for Career and Professional Development, because he always lent me a helping hand and was genuinely invested in the success of the students he mentored. He was one of the first career advisors and African American staff members I connected with when I came to HPU. He truly has the best interest of his students at heart and embodies mentorship for numerous minority students on HPU’s campus.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “During the 2020-2021 academic year, I was appointed High Point University’s Student Government Association vice president of diversity, equity and inclusion. This was my most impactful moment because I was entrusted with the best interests of HPU students, specifically minority populations across campus. This position allowed me to work with various campus administrations and Board of Trustee members. During my tenure, I created a five-year plan tailored to question diversity on campus and provide guidelines on how to improve diversity through recruitment and retention strategies. This is the most impactful moment for me because I’ve always enjoyed giving back to my community, whether being a member of the Board of Stewards or president of Black Cultural Awareness. I know that since HPU has this plan, it will impact students in generations to come.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to my success because numerous resources were at my disposal beginning my freshman year. For example, the Office of Career and Professional Development and the Office of Student Success set me up on my academic journey. Countless clubs and organizations within the Office of Student Life and the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life helped me find my passions and interests alongside students with the same mindset. It is beneficial how clubs and organizations fall within various academic, religious and diverse categories. In all these categories, I have found friends and allies, mentors and resources for my professional success and personal development.”

What are the life skills HPU helped you develop that prepared you for long-term success? “Some of the life skills HPU helped me develop that prepared me for long-term success are critical thinking, networking and public speaking. Public speaking is necessary as an aspiring attorney and an employee of a law firm. During my sophomore year, I took a persuasive speaking course which helped me strengthen my speaking skills. I’ve learned a lot about critical thinking during the M.A. Communication and Business Leadership Program, and networking is something I learned as early as my freshman year in the President’s First-Year Seminar on Life Skills.”

What are the values and virtues HPU’s campus helped you develop that you’ll take with you after graduation? “The value of family is essential to me, especially as an only child of a single parent. Although I’ve graduated, everyone at HPU has a special place in my heart and will always be considered family. Whether it’s Ms. Mary in the Farmers Market, Ms. Kristy in the Cafe or Ms. Nita in the library, I knew that wherever I went across campus I had someone supporting and looking out for me. This is the most important value to me because HPU felt like home when I first visited in 2017 and ultimately decided on the university. Five years later, I still feel the same way.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Stay true to yourself, know what your goals are and don’t let anyone or anything deter you. After you graduate, continue utilizing the network and resources that HPU provided. Although there is no correct way to ‘adult,’ remember that you know your interests, passions and end goal; therefore, you should do whatever it takes to get there — whether it’s a gap year, going to graduate school or getting a job right after graduation.”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!