Internship Profile: Spencer Panzo Scores Experience in Sports

Aug 16th, 2022

Spencer Panzo Philadelphia Union Internship

Read More Internship Profiles

Name: Spencer Panzo

Hometown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Major: Sport management

Internship: Panzo joins the Philadelphia Union soccer team as a ticketing department and game day operations intern. In his role, he is responsible for researching to develop sales leads, assisting in pre-season preparations for the ticket sales department, working with the Supporters Club on game day preparations and operations, and providing customer service at Union events.

How HPU helped you get there: “My time at High Point University has helped me achieve my goals in numerous ways. HPU makes alumnus connections very easy and accessible. I was able to come in contact with an alumni who currently works for the Philadelphia Union, which gave me an edge and great talking points during the hiring process. In the classroom, professors provide students with a fantastic education and offer insight on connecting with moguls in our professional careers. Professors genuinely care about students’ success. Outside the classroom, HPU’s opportunities for occupational experience to students during the school year are something I utilized. Working for the basketball team over the winter provided me with the experience and knowledge needed to procure the internship of my choice. Working in Major League Soccer before graduation is an accomplishment made possible, in part, by the hard-working individuals at HPU. I’ve utilized visiting the Office of Career and Professional Development since my freshman year. A second eye to look over everything and provide professional advice will never point you in the wrong direction.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The most impactful mentor I’ve had at HPU is Dr. Jenny Lukow chair of the Sport, Event and Hospitality Management Department. She is one of the hardest working and most caring mentors I have ever met. Dr. Lukow will go out of her way to ensure students’ success in class, in a job or in life. She is the most vibrant and energetic educator I have ever met. She knows how to make everything she teaches fun. I regularly get emails from Dr. Lukow with opportunities to grow professionally, which goes a long way. While every professor at HPU is incredible, Dr. Lukow goes above and beyond for everyone around her.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has been fantastic. While I love being at school, it’s relieving to get a glimpse into the ‘real world.’ The professional sports industry is very organized and relies heavily on the success of its employees — not just athletes. Yes, teams need to win games, but they also need to sell tickets, draft well, spend money wisely, market themselves, appeal to the public and evolve with the unpredictable future of the sport. The information and experience I have gained will be extremely beneficial to me at HPU and even after I graduate in the spring. To be working hands-on in professional soccer is a dream come true.”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!