Internship Profile: Olivia Rugg Analyzes for Bold Films

Sep 02nd, 2022

Read More Internship Profiles

Name: Olivia Rugg

Hometown: Old Lyme, Connecticut

Major: Popular culture and media production with a minor in creative writing

Internship: Rugg joined Bold Films as a development intern over the summer. She read scripts considered for production and wrote a three to four page coverage for each piece to summarize and analyze the quality of the script, dissecting its premise, plot, characterization and dialogue.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU offered a variety of script writing courses that educated me on proper television and feature structure, as well as the important elements of quality storytelling. In the popular culture and media production major, every student is taught how to dissect a piece, boiling a script down to its character arcs, plot, themes, setups and symbolism. I felt prepared for my internship because of my firm grasp of script analysis. I used the Office of Career & Professional Development through their online resources, including templates and notes for making a professional resumes and cover letters as well as how to prepare for an interview.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “As someone who is looking into television development and pre-production, my most impactful mentor at HPU is Professor Jim Goodman. He offers so much of his knowledge of screenwriting and directing to his classes. I often come to him for career advice, writing assistance and help preparing for interviews.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “I have been a fan of Bold Films for years and am honored to have interned for a company I admire so much. Not only do I love film analysis, but the knowledge I received from talented writers through their scripts was extremely valuable. It has helped me reflect on my own writing and how I can make a memorable script.”

Share your news with us for a chance to be featured!