Class of 2022 Outcomes: Thomas Hart Directs Sports Broadcasts

Oct 20th, 2022

IMG_6521-1-e1666276321400.jpg
Thomas Hart
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Sports Media
Tupelo Honey Media

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2022:

Name: Thomas Hart

Hometown: Fort Mill, South Carolina

Major: Sports media

Post-graduation plans: Hart works in Indianapolis, Indiana, as an associate director with Tupelo Honey Media. He directs one to two broadcasts a week for clients, which have been aired on ESPN2 and ESPNU.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU’s small class sizes and connections with professors were crucial to achieving my goals. I always knew I thrived in a small classroom environment, especially in my production classes. Having great working relationships with my professors and having them push me to the next level was what motivated me to be where I am today. The Office of Career and Professional Development provided advice on my resume, cover letters and other tips with the job search process.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “HPU’s Broadcaster in Residence Joe Michaels, former director of NBC’s ‘TODAY’ show, was an incredible mentor during my time on campus. With the amount of success and experience he has, I learned hundreds of stories and editorial decisions that he made in the control room.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Throughout my years at HPU, I spent countless hours working on many of our ESPN+ broadcasts. During the fall of 2021, I was given the opportunity to direct the Train concert in the newly opened Nido and Mariana Qubein Arena and Conference Center. It was a 100% student-run show with me leading the charge. It gave me the confidence to know that I can achieve the goals I’ve always wanted to fulfill.”

How has HPU’s inspiring environment contributed to your success? “When you surround yourself with like-minded individuals, you position yourself in a place to be motivated. Going through my final years of school, many of my classmates and friends were eager to find jobs and opportunities post-grad. Associating myself with others who wanted to accomplish goals within their career paths further motivated me to take a risk and apply for jobs that I’ve always wanted.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Never turn down a new opportunity. You never know what it could lead to or how it could change your career path for the better.”