Class of 2016 Outcomes: Lynde Pepper Chases Interior Design Dreams

With Commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Lynde Pepper

Hometown: Lewes, Delaware

Major: Pepper will graduate with a B.S. in Interior Design on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Pepper will attend graduate school at Florida State University for her Master of Science advanced professional degree in Interior Design with an emphasis on health care design. After receiving her degree, Pepper plans to work for a full service architectural firm in the South.

How HPU helped you get there: “I was seven years old when I decided that I wanted to pursue interior design. HPU has provided a safe and supportive environment for me to grow and expand my mind. I feel that I benefited from many of my liberal arts classes as they had an impact on how I approached many of my interior design projects. Many of the interior design professors have tirelessly given their time and energy to help us evolve and draw out our potential. HPU was able to cultivate this dream into a reality for me.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor would have to be Cathy Nowicki as she is the first person I met in the interior design department. I remember her dedication to come in on a Saturday morning to meet with me when I came here on a tour of the department and school. She took me over to a window and showed me the campus pool and explained that I should take a long look at it as I would not have time to visit it as a design student. She was true to her word! She made an impression that day and every day since. Ms. Nowicki has been my advisor from the very beginning and has encouraged me to pursue a master’s after HPU. I am forever grateful for all the time she invests in her students and to get them ready for the professional world.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “As a design student, many hours/nights are required in the computer lab. The opportunity to study abroad in Florence, Italy, spring of our junior year was one of the many reasons I was drawn to High Point University. There were 15 interior design students that went abroad and the friendship that was developed between us will last a lifetime. After taking three ‘History of Interiors’ classes with the dean, Dr. Turpin, we were able to see the art and architecture shown to us in his PowerPoints in real life—and every time we recognized a picture we got really excited because we already knew its history. Studying abroad was essential to tying together what you learn in the classroom and the world—it exposes you to so much and makes you grow as an individual. Our senior class has such a comradery that has grown exponentially since travelling across Europe together. Those memories and adventures will bond us together forever. There is not a day that goes by that we do not refer back to this experience. As I design student, it was awe-inspiring to be exposed to European architecture, design and lifestyle. The food and travel weren’t so bad either.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Engage yourself on campus and study abroad. Get and stay involved in clubs and organizations on campus. There are so many life lessons and opportunities to grow by belonging to a group. HPU offers so many activities and opportunities that it would be a mistake to miss out on—so sign up! There are numerous services available to aid you into the next phase of your life, but you have to pursue it. HPU has provided a great stepping stone into life, so it is up to you to make the most of it.