Class of 2016 Profile: Sarah Luz Teaches at Trinity

Name: Sarah Luz

Hometown: Wilmington, Massachusetts

Major: Luz graduated with a B.A. in Special Education on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Luz accepted a position as a special education teacher at Trinity High School in Trinity, North Carolina. While teaching, she will pursue her master’s degree in Adapted Curriculum Special Education through HPU’s B.A. to M.Ed. program. Luz was also selected as the HPU nominee for North Carolina Student Teacher of the Year award.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University’s faculty have made an incredible impact on my life and future. Especially Ms. Teresa Owens, Dr. Sarah Vess and Dr. Heidi Summey – all three of these women have shaped me into the educator I have always dreamed of becoming. They have supported me through tough times and they have celebrated with me when I had even the smallest accomplishments. The small class sizes make it possible to form those important relationships with your professors at HPU. I only hope that I can touch the hearts of my students one day the way these three professors have touched mine.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at High Point University has been Teresa Owens. She has guided me through the ins and outs of my student teaching experience and her open door has always relieved a lot of my stress. Her experience and expertise in the field of education is invaluable, and I truly value her as so much more than a mentor. She is the first person I called when I was offered my new job and she will continue to be the first person I call with any news, questions or advice in the future. I hope she knows the impact she has made on my life as a person and as a teacher.”

Sarah Luz award

Luz received the “Outstanding Student Teacher” award from HPU’s School of Education

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was recently being awarded one of High Point University’s Outstanding Student Teacher Awards at our end-of-the-year banquet. Being recognized for the long days and hard work I put in this semester was an incredible feeling, but the reason it was so impactful was because I now know I am ready to enter my first year of teaching. I know it is something I am passionate about and it shows to others in my work. My students at Trinity High School this past semester stole my heart and I’m pretty sure they taught me more than I could ever teach them. My cooperating teacher, Melissa Brown, was also named Outstanding Cooperating Teacher and to have her recognized for all the work she put into mentoring me was an incredible moment. I look forward to becoming coworkers with another extremely impactful mentor I have had the pleasure to meet through my journey at HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Be active. Set your goals high and make those relationships with your mentors and professors. Stay involved on campus, but also get off campus and explore the world around you. I found a home here at High Point University along with many friends, love and a future as a teacher and I hope you will too!