Class of 2016 Profile: Sierra Middlebrooks Programs in LA

Name: Sierra Middlebrooks

Hometown: Castle Rock, Colorado

Major: Middlebrooks graduated with a B.A. in Communication, with a concentration in Electronic Media and a minor in Marketing, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Middlebrooks accepted a position as a programming intern at Awesomeness TV in Los Angeles, California. In her position, Middlebrooks helps write, shoot and prep talent for the “Daily Report,” a celebrity news segment targeted towards Generation Z, as well as a variety of other short videos for the channel. Most recently, she has had opportunities to meet, work with and write scripts for YouTube influencers such as Rebecca Black and Hunter March.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU offers a great amount of opportunity to get involved and the tools you need in order to be successful. There was always something to be involved in – some sort of activity or event that would allow me to practice my skills in a way that allowed me to grow both as a person and as a professional. My advisors were also incredible. They always had helpful words of wisdom and urged me to pursue the path that has led me to where I am today.

I met with Doug Hall in Career & Professional Development a couple of times and he helped me prepare for informational interviews, which were what landed me this job. He also helped me get my LinkedIn and resume in tip-top shape for those interviews.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “This is a tie. There is no way I could pick between Charisse McGhee-Lazarou and Joe Michaels. They were both incredibly helpful when applying for jobs and encouraging me to follow my passions and make things happen. They guided me through every step of the way and shared in my excitement when I was receiving multiple job offers.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My sophomore year, I unfortunately fell quite ill and spent a few weeks in the hospital. I thought I was going to have to take the semester off, but HPU staff and my professors stepped up in amazing fashion. Almost all of them visited me in the hospital, and my professors would guide me through coursework so that I wouldn’t be behind upon my return to HPU. I have never felt such love and support from a school, and I will forever be grateful for those that helped me stay on track and achieve my goals during such a difficult time.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of every opportunity you can to get involved. Not only is it a great resume builder; it also helps you find what it is you are passionate about, and that really comes in handy when it comes time to interview. Also, take advantage of every single internship opportunity that you can.”