Class of 2016 Profile: Kim Greve Designs Custom Homes

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Kimberly Greve

Hometown: Wayne, New Jersey

Major: Greve graduated with a B.S. in Interior Design, with a minor in Marketing, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Greve accepted a position as a Designer at Robin Baron Design, a high-end residential interior design firm in New York City. In her position, Greve works with clients to create a home perfect for their specific wants and needs, from construction to final decoration. She creates floor plans and renderings, researches products and communicates with vendors to create a truly custom home.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point was my home away from home. I never felt like I was unable to get help from a professor or was just a face in a crowd of people. Professors knew my name and made sure I was prepared to excel. I would go to them for advice, opinions and sometimes just to say ‘hi’ when I needed a break from the design studio. The High Point Furniture Market was something that became a part of my design education. The connections you make through the university and the experiences they help you have, truly do prepare you for what’s to come after you graduate. The past four years of nights spent in the studio working on design projects gave me the drive I needed to pursue a career in interior design after graduation, and the education to back it up.

Outside of the classroom, becoming involved in organizations such as Zeta Tau Alpha improved my leadership, organization, confidence and people skills. I truly believe the resources available to me at HPU and the incredible surroundings pushed me to become the best I could be. I was never not a confident person, but looking back from when I first arrived at HPU, my own self confidence has definitely improved. I know what I can do and the asset I can be.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I’m not sure I could narrow this down to a single person. The entire interior design department were not only my professors, but also my mentors. The second I met Dean Turpin at summer orientation prior to my freshman year, I knew he would be an understanding and helpful resource throughout my four years at HPU. After asking if I had to know to draw to be an interior design major, and his reply of ‘Nope! We’ll teach you!’, I knew I was in a good place. In the three semesters that I had with Dr. Turpin, I found a hidden passion for the history of design, and for someone who never enjoyed history class, I really worked at it and actually understood the information. I definitely did learn how to draw thanks to Mr. John Linn and Mr. Adrian Boggs, and four-hour studio classes were not a chore, but something to look forward to. Ms. Cathy Nowicki, who was also my advisor, provided assistance in finding a career path that was fit for each and every one of us, and how to pursue it. I can honestly say I never had a negative experience with a professor at HPU. Each and every one left a positive memory during my experiences at HPU.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “One of the best experiences HPU helped provide was my experience studying abroad in Florence, Italy. I was able to spend an entire semester living in the heart of Florence, traveling throughout Europe with some of my best friends at HPU. Not only did I leave Italy learning something academically, but more importantly I learned about different cultures and got to experience life as they live it… something completely opposite of how we live life in the U.S. I got to see things I had learned about my entire life, including the Pantheon, Sistine Chapel, Danish Museum of Art & Design, and even Sagrada Familia. Studying abroad was hands down the most memorable and treasured experience I have had this far in my life.

Another impactful moment at HPU was when my younger brother, Kyle, decided to attend HPU. Sharing my senior year with him as he was coming into his freshman year was something I will always cherish. Being able to show him ‘the ropes’ made this past year really special to me. To have my own brother experience the same place I experienced for the past four years is a really awesome thing. Being able to go to Prime for dinner together, introducing him to my friends who quickly became his fraternity brothers, or even just running past each other on our way to class, having him at the same school is a memory I also will never forget.

Advice for underclassmen: “You truly need to put yourself out there. Networking is the most important step you will take in getting a job and starting your career. Meeting people in the field and having patience is something that does not come naturally to most people, but having patience in your job search is important because it doesn’t just happen overnight… it takes time! Being proactive and taking advantage of every opportunity HPU has to offer will only help you at the end of your four years. As an undergrad, it’s not easy to meet people in the field you are interested in but one of the best ways to meet people is getting an internship. Gaining experience in the field and meeting professionals is the best way to make connections.

Most importantly, never take a day for granted at High Point. Don’t sit in your room watching TV when you have nothing to do. As silly as it seems sometimes, go to the arcade, sign up for a carriage ride during the holidays, and go to the luau party… Those are the memories you will carry with you for the rest of your life!