Class of 2017 Profile: Morgan Gould Teaches Special Ed

Morgan Gould

Name: Morgan Gould

Hometown: Framingham, Massachusetts

Major: Gould will graduate with a degree in Special Education on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Gould accepted a position as a Level 2 special education teacher at The New England Center for Children in Southborough, Massachusetts. In her position, Gould will be responsible for the direct care and Applied Behavior Analysis therapy of students in her classroom. She will oversee their clinical, educational, vocational and daily living skills objectives, and implement educational programs and behavior management guidelines for all of her students.

How HPU helped you get there: “My curriculum as a special education major has been extremely hands on. As early as my sophomore year I was spending time as an intern in local classrooms, immediately getting to practice the skills I was learning in the lecture hall. This hands-on approach to learning, coupled with my classroom learning, definitely helped me stand out in my job applications and interviews.

The High Point University Career & Professional Development Center helped me tune my resume for my job search. During the interview process, I was told that the precise wording on my resume describing my experience with creating and implementing Individualized Education Programs was the reason they called me for an interview.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Theresa Owens has been both my advisor and professor, and it is under her guidance that I have learned to make excellence a habit. She has continually challenged me to rise to the next level in everything I do, both in my classes and in my internships and student teaching. By believing in me and stressing the importance of making excellence a habit, Ms. Owens has taught me to take pride in my own learning. She has made me feel that disappointing her with work that is not to my full potential is only short changing myself. She has made my excellence a habit, not an act.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The first semester of my sophomore year I was still an undecided major and was taking a sociology class. The class required that each student fulfill a service learning requirement, and my service learning took place at Oak Hill Elementary School, supervising an after school club one day a week. One day I asked if the school had a special education classroom, and when I learned that it did I went to see the classroom and asked the teacher if I could volunteer there. For the next year and a half I spent three afternoons a week volunteering as an aide in the special ed life skills classroom, and it was in that classroom that I decided on my professional goals.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of ALL the opportunities available at High Point University. This ranges from classes to internships to study abroad to clubs to volunteer work in the community. A well-rounded education occurs beyond the walls of the classroom.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.