Class of 2018 Profile: Gigi McWilliams Joins 9News – KUSA

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Gigi McWilliams

Hometown: Westminster, Colorado

Major: McWilliams graduated with a B.S.B.A. in business and a minor in marketing.

Post-graduation plans: As Account Manager of 9News-KUSA in Denver, Colorado, McWilliams works in sales and is in charge of managing 30-40 accounts every day. McWilliams monitors and optimizes advertisement campaigns, both on-air and digitally, makes sure all of her clients are happy and ensures that all campaigns run as smoothly as possible.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University is the reason that I am where I am today for so many reasons. Between the people I met, the classes I took and the experiences I had, I truly believe that I would not be the person I am today had it not been for HPU. High Point truly challenged me in a way that forced me to become a stronger, more independent and successful person and I am forever grateful. In addition, my Career and Professional Development advisor helped me perfect my resume, my LinkedIn profile and my cover letter, all of which helped me land the career I have now. Through Career and Professional Development, I was able to make an appointment and do a deep dive into how I could improve my materials and how I could make myself stand out in the sea of recent graduates.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Shannon Williams, who was my supervisor when I worked as the admissions intern my senior year. Shannon showed me what it truly meant to be a successful professional. This transition from full-time student to part-time student and part-time professional was fundamental in making me feel completely ready to enter the workforce two days after graduation and I owe it all to Shannon.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at High Point University was working my last move-in day as an ambassador my senior year. As I was directing new students and hopeful parents to their new dorm rooms, I was hit by just how much High Point really meant to me. Seeing the mix of excitement and nervousness that was on every new face created such a bittersweet feeling in me. I was both incredibly thrilled for them to start their journey and also incredibly jealous that they were just getting their start at HPU as mine was coming to an end. I will honestly never forget this last move-in day and just how grateful I felt to have gotten to spend an unbelievable four years at HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice for underclassmen would be to take advantage of every single opportunity HPU gives you. Go to career fairs, use Career and Professional Development to it’s full potential, get a job on campus, go to the arcade after a long day, study abroad, read all of the quotes on the promenade, play intramurals, join every club you can fit into your schedule and savor every single moment you possibly can. Before you know it, you will be walking across that stage and leaving behind your second home. So do whatever you can to make sure that your years at HPU are filled with purpose, and make sure that when graduation finally comes around, you have absolutely no regrets.”