Class of 2018 Outcomes: Allison Holland Practices Philanthropy with the Peace Corps

Class of 2018 Outcomes: Allison Holland

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Allison Holland

Hometown: Ellicott City, Maryland

Major: International relations and philosophy with minors in economics and environmental studies

Post-graduation plans: Holland will be serving in the West African nation of Benin for the next two years as a sustainable agricultural systems extension agent. She will be focusing on community economic development and sustainable agriculture in hopes of bringing greater food security to Beninise communities.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU offers so many opportunities to develop its students in a variety of capacities and to create thoroughly well-rounded individuals. I have tried my best to take advantage of this through my experiences studying abroad, volunteering in Alpha Phi Omega, working as a student tutor, playing club volleyball and meeting international students through the Panther PAL program.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I owe so much to Dr. Meredith Malburne-Wade for the countless hours we spent talking about different career paths. She not only pushed me to apply for numerous scholarships and programs, but also invested so much time in helping revise my personal essays and prepare for interviews. She was an impactful mentor for me and also a friend whose guidance I appreciated immensely.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My decision to join Alpha Phi Omega, the co-ed service fraternity on campus, during my freshman year was one of my most impactful moments at HPU. It was one of the first instances where I stepped outside of my comfort zone. I am forever grateful for the organization that gave me such wonderful friends, invaluable leadership experience, and a love of volunteering. It challenged my perspectives and now led me to the Peace Corps.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get to know your professors and develop a strong and friendly network with them. It’s important to take advantage of opportunities for conversation with faculty because the advice and anecdotes that professors have to offer are precious and can make a real difference in your life post-graduation.”