Class of 2019 Outcomes: Kelsi Kruszewski Pursues A Law Degree

Class of 2019: Kelsi Kruszewski

Though commencement is months away, High Point University seniors are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Kelsi Kruszewski

Hometown: Vonore, Tennessee

Major: Journalism with a minor in philosophy

Post-graduation plans: Kruszewski will be pursuing a law degree at Ave Maria School of Law in Naples, Florida.

How HPU helped you get there: “When I first came to HPU I was not sure what I wanted to do or where I wanted to end up. After changing my major numerous times, and speaking with professors, I knew that law school is what I was looking for. Last summer I had an internship as a legal assistant at Nayee Law in Tampa, Florida. That was also the summer I took my LSAT. HPU has taught me that individuality is the key to success. You cannot be afraid to be your own person and take your own path in life or career-wise. HPU taught me to be a leader, not a follower. Going into law school I need to be someone who stands out, and HPU has allowed me to discover myself while showing me what makes someone extraordinary in an interview or on a resume. The Office of Career & Professional Development helped me to map out what it is that I enjoyed doing and what I would be good at doing. My freshman year I was beyond scared and overwhelmed that I wouldn’t be able to figure it out and would take the wrong courses but as I continued my college career my professors and mentors helped make my options clear to me. Career & Professional Development helped me to take career tests to see what I would enjoy doing and how to accomplish my goals. They also came into my classes throughout the past four years to teach and explain what a valuable resource they are and what they can do to help students. They helped me build confidence within myself to accomplish taking the LSAT and prepared me for what law school is going to be like.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Matthew Brophy is a professor that has always challenged me. As my Business Ethics professor, he did a fantastic job explaining what a philosophy major/minor was and how it can be used beyond college. He pointed out that philosophy students score the highest on the LSAT over any other major/minor. I decided to add Philosophy as a minor to my degree, and it helped me prepare for my LSAT more than I ever would’ve thought. During my LSAT, specific chapters and courses that I took with Dr. Brophy stuck out to me, which made me beyond thankful to have chosen this minor to add to my Journalism major. From getting me to believe in myself and that I would be able to get into law school, to challenging my thoughts on the legal system, I never thought law school would be in the cards for me. He helped me to realize my value and that I could do it. Every class I took with him developed my debate skills and helped me to visualize court cases, while acting as the devil’s advocate, rebutting or questioning my thoughts and decisions. From day one of declaring a philosophy minor, he asked me “why” and “what” I was hoping to get from it. When I told him law school, he continued to ask me why I thought I would be a good criminal defense attorney. These simple questions helped me to understand my passion for law and the work I would be willing to do day and night. In my final semester, I am finishing my philosophy minor with an independent study supported by Dr. Brophy. I truly believe without his constant push and guidance, I would still be unsure as to what it is I want. For that, I am forever grateful.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was joining the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization. This organization was where I had my own ‘little sister’ who just needed someone to see her for who she is and not her social or financial situation. She had a huge impact on me wanting to become a criminal defense attorney and helped me to realize pursuing law school was the right choice for me.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t wait to pursue your dreams. Undergraduate school is only four years long and before you know it, you will be in your cap and down walking across the stage at graduation. Time flies. Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way, even if you don’t think it’s the right fit for you. Don’t be afraid to try it. Follow your passions and everything will work out. And remember that hard work pays off.”