Class of 2019 Outcomes: Erin Haggerty Sells for Polymershapes

Erin Haggerty

Recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Erin Haggerty

Hometown: Elmira, New York

Major: Business administration with minors in human relations and sales

Post-graduation plans: Haggerty will be working as an outside sales rep for Polymershapes in Boston, Massachusetts. She will be tasked with selling materials that allow engineers to develop prosthetics, hip replacements and heart stents. She will cultivate and maintain long-lasting relationships with healthcare providers and engineers through her time in this position.

How HPU helped you get there: “As a freshman at HPU, I completely immersed myself in all of the opportunities and clubs offered through the Phillips School of Business. I found that I thoroughly enjoyed the Professional Selling Club, which I credit with much of my success. As soon as I joined the selling club, I competed with my peers and was nominated to compete in a National Sales Competition where I aided my teammates in winning an award. From that experience, I developed relationships with professors that encouraged me to run for a leadership position. I became vice president of membership for the Professional Selling Club which required me to host companies that can offer internships to students. The Office of Career & Professional Development also played a key role in my success. As a freshman, I visited their office to show off a two-page resume that I was so proud of, and I soon came to realize that two-page resumes do not exist for someone at a freshman level. From there, my career advisor, April Cosner, helped me present all of my achievements into a concise, professional resume that helped me land prestigious internships. She still goes above and beyond to assist me in all of my professional documents. Thanks to 1924 Prime, when I took part in a fine dining experience with my employers at Polymershapes, I was able to properly order, use utensils, and hold myself in a professional manner. Growing up, I did not have a lot of experience in that setting.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My greatest mentor at HPU was Professor Larry Quinn. Professor Quinn helped me in a multitude of ways, but the one that stands out the most was during my application process for my internship with Gartner. He helped me develop answers to interview questions, act professionally, introduced me to his personal contacts, and encouraged me throughout the course of my education. I have learned so much from Professor Quinn, and I can honestly say that he has had a large impact on making me the successful woman that I am today while making me laugh along the way.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “At one of the freshman move-in weekend activities, I met a good friend that I still have today – Darryl Remedio. He was a great friend to me in every way, but the best thing that we did together was create a nonprofit called “United Apparel.” We realized there was a huge population of veterans in the local area who are homeless and struggling with PTSD and alcoholism. Our hearts went out to these vets, which inspired us to create United Apparel. Our company sold T-shirts to students, and for every shirt sold, we donated a care package filled with basic health care items and a heartfelt letter.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Things will never turn out how you expect, but it’s your reaction to the situation that will determine if you come out on top. Never be afraid to take a chance and ask for help when you need it.”