Class of 2019 Outcomes: Madeline Murray Finds Interest in Art Therapy

Madeline Murray

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Madeline Murray

Hometown: Port Ludlow, Washington

Major: Studio art with a minor in psychology

Post-graduation plans: Murray will be attending graduate school at Hofstra University for the Creative Arts Therapy Counseling Program in Hempstead, New York.

How HPU helped you get there: “My art classes helped me develop a professional portfolio and a distinct style of painting, and my psychology classes helped me confirm that I want to be a therapist. The Office of Career and Professional Development introduced me to different job application websites which were game changers for finding summer jobs and employment opportunities.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “After switching from interior design to studio art, my academic advisor, Mark Brown, believed in me and saw my potential when I felt unsure.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Meeting my two best friends was my most impactful moment at HPU. They helped me learn that prioritizing your close friends is beyond critical. They’re the ones who will have my back no matter what happens. They were the two who came to the opening of my art show and took pictures and videos of me. I took that for granted during my first few years, but I came to realize how truly important their support was. You can put a lot of energy into any friendship, but you should really focus on the people who are there through the good and the bad times. I gained a lot of knowledge from my classes at High Point University, but I learned an equal amount from my relationships.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Choose a major because you actually enjoy what you’re learning, not just based on the hopes of a high paying job. Otherwise finding the motivation to go to class will always remain a struggle.”