Class of 2019 Outcomes: Emily Landry Joins JDRF

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Emily Landry

Hometown: Nashua, New Hampshire

Major: Communication with a minor in event management

Post-graduation plans: Landry joined JDRF as a development assistant. JDRF is a nonprofit organization that raises funds that go towards finding a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Her position oversees volunteer recruitment and management for all community and special events, and assists with event logistics and graphic design. Landry connects with members of the local Type 1 Diabetes community to offer support to both newly diagnosed families and current families. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me get to where I am today by connecting me with incredible, supportive professors in the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication and allowing me to discover what I was passionate about. Without the internships I had as a student, I wouldn’t have gotten to where I am today. I always felt encouraged by all HPU faculty and staff to get as much experience as possible. The classes that I took within my major and minor helped me develop the skills I needed to be proficient in my career industry, while also helping me figure out exactly what path I wanted to pursue after graduation. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me build a LinkedIn profile, resume and cover letter that set me apart in the competitive marketplace.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU:Professor Joe Michaels has been my biggest mentor. I met Joe my freshman year and took classes with him almost every semester through graduation. Every time I saw him in the School of Communication, he always made time to ask how I was doing, and he continuously supported my career goals throughout my time at HPU. He gave me advice and the confidence to pursue my dreams.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment I had at HPU occurred when I was working on a video project for Make-A-Wish through class. As I interviewed the Wish Family, I got a feeling in my heart that I never had before, and I knew in that moment this was the career path I wanted to pursue. I would not have gotten to that point without the support of my HPU professor, Joe Michaels.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to current students is to never be afraid to chase your dreams. And honestly, it’s okay if you don’t know what your dream is yet. You have this time now to figure out what makes your heart happy, so explore and learn as much as you can. Use your professors and your peers as your support system. Always be willing to try something new. Get all the experience you can, in any way that you can. And most importantly, always radiate positivity because with the right attitude, you can achieve whatever you set your heart and mind to.”