Class of 2019 Outcomes: Kevin McMahon Reports for the Rockers

McMahon

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are kicking off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Kevin McMahon

Hometown: Hickory, North Carolina

Major: Sports communication

Post-graduation plans: McMahon accepted a position with the High Point Rockers in High Point, North Carolina, as a play-by-play broadcaster. He will be the voice of the High Point Rockers, calling all the action on radio, television, Facebook and YouTube. McMahon will be conducting interviews with players and coaches so fans can learn more about their new team. He will host a weekly podcast that provides insight and interviews, that fans can’t get anywhere else. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me real, on-site experience from the first day I stepped foot on campus. My goals before attending HPU were to have my own radio show on campus and to broadcast for the men’s basketball games by my senior year. In December of my freshman year, I was doing both. I was able to host a radio show for four years and broadcast on The Big South Network, ESPN+ and ESPN3 while at school. Not many students can say that. I broadcasted well over 100 games in my time here at HPU. Not many universities can supply that kind of opportunity. I ran into The High Point Rockers representative at a job fair held by the Office of Career and Professional Development. That was where I made my first connection with him. After that, I was asked to meet for an interview. Without that job fair, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to take this position.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “So many professors have taken interest in my journey here at HPU and have helped me with advice, industry insight, and words of support and encouragement. Whether it was Dr. Trammel, Professor Mims, Dr. Eltantawy, or Dr. Isaksen, the School of Communication broadened my knowledge within the realm of communication as a whole. Dr. Hayes and Dr. McConnell supplied me with endless sports knowledge, insight and opportunities. Trips to Nashville for the Sports Broadcasting Conference were my favorite experiences at HPU. Dan Hauser, Tom Fenstermaker and everyone in the athletic department also gave me a position in front of the microphone and constantly helped me on my journey.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I broadcasted an HPU lacrosse game on the Big South Network with fellow student Craig Blum. It felt like business as usual to us, but little did we know that in Netanya, Israel, the tournament committee for the World Lacrosse Championships was watching and taking notes on our presenting skills. At the end of the game, we received a message from the committee inviting us to broadcast the World Lacrosse Championships held in Israel that summer. The way the Athletic Department, School of Communication and the university as a whole supported and rallied around us to get to Israel is something I will never forget. Sitting on the plane in my High Point University purple, realizing that my career is taking me around the world, is a moment that still gives me chills, and I’ll always be grateful for it.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Use every opportunity that HPU provides to you. There are so many chances to get great experience in your chosen career on campus. It is important to do internships and get experience off campus too, but wouldn’t you want to be fully prepared before you go see the big dogs? Use every chance HPU gives you.”