Internship Profile: Jennifer Evens Grows Her Communication Skills

Name: Jennifer Evens

Hometown: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Major: Communications with a focus in journalism

Internship: Evens is serving as the coordinator of communication and graduate school enrollment intern at Piedmont International University. She is am in charge of communications for all graduate school applicants, and assists with activities like open houses, new student orientations, blackboard orientations, and other onboarding processes for incoming students.

How HPU helped you get there: “When I first started my education at HPU, I did not know anything about networking and putting myself out there. The faculty and staff in the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication and the Office of Career and Professional Development have helped me break out of my shell and learn the proper means to network. I love how every HPU faculty member that I’ve worked with has helped me through every hardship I’ve faced. HPU has many different resources that helped me sharpen up my skills so that I can be successful in my field. I met with Doug Hall, my career advisor in the Office of Career and Professional Development, when I started my application process for internships. Immediately, he pointed out flaws that I had on my resume and my cover letters, and I learned that I did not need a fancy template to showcase my achievements and experience because the content of my resume was more important. I have also attended workshops they offer that have helped me learn to properly perform an elevator pitch and introductions.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “A handful of faculty members I am close with in the School of Communication have helped me tremendously, however, Dr. Doug Hall has been the one who has helped develop my resume, cover letter, identify a list of potential internships and more. Dr. Hall is a tremendous mentor to me! Every little fear and anxiety that I have always disappear after speaking with him. He has helped me map out my future goals as well as send me links to internships he thought would be a good fit. Dr. Hall helped me in my application process and bolstered my confidence after being shot down numerous times. After he looked over my resume, he told me how my resume could look better for what I was applying to. He has sent me emails to check in on my internship experience. In fact, he was the one who helped me find my current internship. I feel that if I never spent the time to meet with him, I would still be submitting a flawed resume to these companies that I desired to work at.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Interning at PIU has been a dream. My internship is fun, informative and I am gaining real-world experience! I am getting an in-depth look at the marketing side of a university, as well as using communication skills to speak with prospective students. I have learned so much in the past few months that I never learned during previous internships. My coworkers are incredibly nice, supportive and are like family. I’ve discovered more about marketing and marketing strategies that will continue to help me in the future and I’ve learned first-hand how to handle the recruitment process and become a positive impact on many applicants.”