Class of 2019 Outcomes: Kenzie Kulina Takes on Occupational Therapy

With another successful Commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Kenzie Kulina

Hometown: Hummelstown, Pennsylvania

Major: Exercise science with a wellness concentration

Post-graduation plans: Kulina will be attending Messiah College in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, for the Masters in Occupational Therapy Program. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me in more ways than I can list. Through the university, I have found lifelong friends that will support me no matter where I go. The faculty and staff have prepared me for not only my future education and career but also for life. The clubs and organizations I joined allowed me to make connections and network. HPU gave me opportunities to grow as a student and person in ways that I never expected. Looking back, HPU gave me the foundation needed to continue my education and pursue a career as an occupational therapist. With the help of my academic advisor and the Office of Career and Professional Development, I got to experience Austin, Texas, the summer before senior year by working in a pediatric outpatient clinic that offers occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy. Without the support and guidance of the Office of Career and Professional Development, I never would have had that amazing internship experience. When applying for graduate school programs, I knew that my internship was something that would make me stand out, and I had HPU to thank for that. They truly want you to have every learning experience possible so that you can make meaningful connections with potential employers.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Definitely Dr. Brandon Romer in the Exercise Science Department. I was fortunate to have him for multiple classes and a research advisor. Dr. Romer impacted me the most because he made sure I was succeeding in the classroom and as a person. He recommended me as a tutor, offered to write letters of recommendation for graduate school and took time to do research with me and other students. Along with challenging me academically, he was always supportive and truly cares about how his students are doing. The professors who take the time to know you as a person and a student make the most lasting impression. Those are the professors you can keep in touch with as a mentor even after graduating.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Serving as a peer mentor my junior and senior year. A peer mentor is assigned to a group of freshmen to help them through welcome week and transitioning to life at HPU. It’s great that HPU offers this for freshmen because it establishes a friendship they have as soon as they get to campus and ties them to someone who has been through the same experience. Helping freshmen allowed me to realize how much of an impact one person can make on others. A simple conversation and being there for someone goes such a long way. As I’m starting a new journey into graduate school, I am so thankful for the little conversations and all the people I’ve met through HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of everything HPU has to offer. I know you will hear this 100 times before graduating, but take it seriously! Join clubs, go to the campus activities and sporting events, and volunteer in the community. Network and put yourself out there because you never know when those relationships will be helpful later. Lastly, make lasting relationships with your faculty and staff. They truly want you to succeed during your time on campus and afterward.”