Freshman Profile: Nurturing an Interest in Neuroscience

HPU’s newest cohort of students represents a wide variety of academic achievement, service, backgrounds, cultures and geographic locations. Marlo Hemerson, one member of the Class of 2023, brings with her many accolades and achievements in the sciences. Below, discover how she plans to make the most out of her time at HPU: 

Name: Marlo Hemerson

Hometown: Parker, Colorado 

High school attended: Legend High School in Parker, Colorado

Accomplishments: Hemerson was named student of the year for both Social Studies and English at Legend High School. She was the President of the Science National Honors Society, Philosophy Club and Chemistry Club, and an active member in the National Honors Society, National Art Honors Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Spanish National Honors Society and Health Occupations Student Association. Hemerson participated in the National Youth Leadership Forum: Advanced Medicine and Healthcare, a medical conference at John Hopkins University, and was part of the Teen Leadership Program at Denver’s top hospital, Presbyterian/St. Luke Hospital, where she totaled over 250 service hours and received their service scholarship for service in the ICU.

Major: Neuroscience with a minor in Spanish

Why you chose HPU: “High Point University was the very first school I toured, and while I was on campus I knew it was exactly where I was meant to be. I wanted to keep an open mind for other schools, but everything was always compared to HPU. When it came down to a decision, I followed my heart and knew I had a place of my own on HPU’s campus. I knew I would feel at home here better than anywhere else. While I knew I would be earning an extraordinary education with opportunities galore in the Natural Science Fellows Program, I also knew I’d grow as a person and find my niche among the HPU student body.”

What you’re looking forward to at HPU: “I look forward to finding myself throughout my time at HPU. I think High Point University does a great job of offering a wide array of opportunities that are outside of my comfort zone and will help me push myself to discover who I am. As someone with a passion to learn, I am ecstatic to finally be diving into material that interests me. I’ve wanted to become a doctor since I started walking, and this is the first step to achieving that goal!”