Internship Profile: Emily Segalla Grows Her Business Knowledge at Gallagher

Name: Emily Segalla

Hometown: Sterling, Massachusetts

Major: Business administration with minors in marketing and sales

Internship: Segalla is spending the summer with Gallagher as a sales intern in Raleigh, North Carolina. She is working with the rapidly growing fortune 500 company, that globally partners with clients in protecting, restoring and rebuilding their organization to be sure they are poised for growth and success. Segalla has the opportunity to accompany producers as they meet with clients, prospects, underwriters and to assist in the renewal and business growth process. She is also participating in sales competitions across the country, working on special projects that are being presented to the office and generating new ideas in the marketing department.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU truly wants everyone to be successful in whatever path they choose. Through HPU’s Daily Motivations and all of the inspirational professors, I receive constant reminders to reach for the stars, to never give up and that the possibilities are endless. Every day, those thoughts run through my head and push me to reach for my goals. HPU hosts multiple career fairs throughout the school year and brings in different companies from around the country. Through that, I’ve built connections that led to my internship. Over the last few years at HPU, I have met with Faith Cochran, April Cosner and Allen Unger in the Office of Career and Professional Development, and they have helped me immensely. As a freshman, I did not know what I wanted to do with my career, and I was able to take self-assessments to figure out what I would be best suited for and get my resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile looked at. They taught me how to network successfully to get my name in the business industry. Working at Gallagher, I’ve also already had multiple lunch and dinner outings with my bosses and co-workers. HPU has prepared me for that tremendously, especially because of 1924 Prime. While dining at Prime, I’ve learned proper etiquette skills and expectations for a professional business meal. I feel very prepared!”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My sales professor, Mark Michael has been extremely helpful with my internship process. Professor Michael went out of his way to guide me and give advice in and out of the classroom. He always has an open door policy, and I know I am welcome into his office at any time. When applying for internships, I explained to Professor Michael what I needed to be prepared for in each round of the interview process, and he walked me through every step to be sure I knew what to expect. He challenges me to think outside the box, build up my confidence, and he truly cares about my success.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Throughout my internship, I have been able to travel to Gallagher’s headquarters in Chicago, Ilinois, and meet 400+ other interns across the globe and network with them, participate in a sales competition and hear Gallagher executives talk about being a business professional. I will also have the opportunity to travel to Orlando, Florida at the end of the program to present to regional sales managers and executives. I have not only learned how risk management, consulting and insurance businesses works, but how to carry myself professionally in every aspect of my career.”