Internship Profile: Natalie De Boer Branches-Out with BISSELL

Name: Natalie De Boer

Hometown: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Major: Marketing with a minor in sales

Internship: As the BISSELL Homecare sales merchandising intern, De Boer serves as a vital team member within the sales function, reporting to the Senior Manager, Sales Process and Specialty Channels. She performs a variety of day-to-day tasks, and is also involved in a summer-long capstone project related to her internship. At the end of the project, she will report her findings to leadership at BISSELL as well as her peers in the intern program.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU is truly there for their students. There are so many academic services that provide you with an opportunity to achieve your dreams. I came in undecided in my major, so I spent a lot of time in the Office of Career and Professional Development trying to figure out my future. They gave me surveys and information about different options that would fit my personality and interests. Once I declared marketing as a major, I was immediately immersed in a program that gave me every opportunity to grow as a business professional. We had classes taught by the School of Business Dean, along with small group meetings to discuss our future. Every single professor I have had in the School of Business has been phenomenal. The relationships and connections formed with professors who care about your future is vital. My professors make sure I am enjoying my major, make learning fun and motivate me to be successful. Not only have I learned from the people I know personally, but I have also grown as a business professional through taking part in various speaker series, internship panels and more. When I was beginning my internship search, I received assistance from the Office of Career and Professional Development. My resume was below average, and I knew that if I wanted to achieve my dream of living and working in New York City after graduating, I needed to build my resume. I met with Dr. Bill Gentry, my career advisor, and I told him from the start that that was my goal and shared my willingness to do whatever it takes to get there. He told me getting an internship during the school year as a stepping stone for a summer internship would be very helpful, and he explained how important it is to build your professional materials. Achieving your dreams won’t come easy, but it is possible if you work hard and put in the effort. Dr. Gentry encouraged me through the whole process and gave me tips on everything I would need to know such as dress code, various ways to ask and how to respond to certain questions. I also had my resume reviewed at least five times by peer career advisors and had help with my cover letter to get it looking perfect. They helped me out with every little detail, however, I had to make the effort to come to them. The option is there for each student if they choose to utilize the opportunity.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Robert Moses has been a huge mentor to me. He has taught me a lot about the Bible and challenged me as a student. He asks his classes the tough questions and genuinely wants us to learn. I grew up in a Christian home, so I thought I knew a lot about my religion, however, almost everything Dr. Moses taught in that class, was eye-opening to me. My understanding of the Bible and the growth of my faith was an unexpected bonus in attending HPU. Dr. Moses is a professor who wants us to learn and enjoy his class. He is a professor that cares so much for each student, and I am very thankful for the way in which he made the class challenging, yet enjoyable.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My time at BISSELL Homecare has been amazing, and I have already learned so much. Everyone at BISSELL is extremely helpful, and they pay close attention to the interns. I have found great mentors that ensure I understand everything and that I am being treated well. Everyone in the office, including the VP’s, are extremely welcoming, and many people in the company allow me to shadow meetings, conference calls and other aspects of their work. I have sat in on numerous conference calls with people from all over the country. I also have gotten to sit in on important meetings with retailers like Walmart, Meijer, Lowes and more. I am gaining so much experience by observing these conversations, and my supervisors also let me ask questions if the time or company allows it as well. My supervisors at BISSELL are so friendly and make sure I feel welcomed.”