Internship Profile: Ryan Diaz Does Data Management for Liberty Mutual

Name: Ryan Diaz

Hometown: Brentwood, New Hampshire

Major: Computer science with a minor in mathematics

Internship: Diaz is spending the summer working with Liberty Mutual as a global risk solutions data management intern in Dover, New Hampshire. As part of the TechStart intern program, Diaz is working in data management to modernize legacy systems and manage large amounts of internal data. He is assisting with cutting edge cloud and software technologies on a dynamic software development team.

How HPU helped you get there: “The computer science program, the Office of Career and Professional Development and overall holistic approach to education at HPU has a massive impact on where I am now. All of my professors genuinely care about my academic progress and help with connections in the professional world by bringing in local companies to speak about what they do. They provide opportunities for research and get student’s research presented at conferences, which would never happen for an undergrad at any other school. The Office of Career and Professional Development help me to sharpen my resume regularly and gave me the opportunity to intern at a Fortune 100 company. I stopped in their office for help with my resume, and left with it covered in changes because they improve the layout and content, and gave me tips on what to highlight in an interview.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Roger Shore in the computer science department is my academic advisor and has assisted me in researching Differential GPS for Autonomous Vehicle Research and he allowed me to present the research at an Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) conference this past year. His office door is always open and he is always looking to help students learn anything they are interested in. He takes groups of students to coding competitions and conferences, and influences my future career in computer science for the better.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has introduced me to the corporate world and the professional software development methodologies of a Fortune 100 company. It has reinforced and refined my career goals while allowing me to contribute to dynamic teams of professionals in my field. It has also provided me many mentors and important contacts for the field that I want to make a career in.”