The Top 5 Things You Should Know About 1924 PRIME

You’ve just landed an interview with your dream company and realize it will take place during dinner at a nice restaurant. Are you ready?

As an HPU student, you will be!

While some colleges provide an etiquette class during a student’s senior year, HPU provides students with four years of enhanced career preparation inside 1924 PRIME, HPU’s immersive fine-dining learning lab.

1924 PRIME exemplifies the holistic, values-based education that High Point University provides. Here’s a peek at the Top 5 Things You Should Know About 1924 PRIME:

1. It’s a learning lab.

In the New York Times article “How to Hire the Right Person,” employers say that taking a candidate to lunch or dinner is one of the most revealing and important components of the hiring process.

1924 Prime exposes students to business and social etiquette, global culture and international cuisine. Students learn to engage with others while using professional etiquette, and the experience puts them at ease in a formal setting.

While a weekly visit to PRIME is included in student dining plans, reservations are required. And, no cell phones are allowed! During their experience, students learn the importance of fully engaging with others. The caring, knowledgeable staff inside PRIME guide students through proper table etiquette.

2. It introduces students to new cultures.

Each month, PRIME is pleased to showcase the cuisine and culture of important international or regional destinations as part of the Cuisine & Culture Series. Examples of nations and regions featured in the Cuisine & Culture Series include:

Indian; Germany; Ethiopia; Japan; Brazil; Spain; China; Great Britain; Thailand; Central America; Caribbean; Mexico; Australia; Turkey; Italy; Vietnam; Morocco; Argentina; South Africa; Russia; New Zealand and Ireland. 

3. Primed for success: Students credit PRIME for workplace achievement.

Whether it’s taking a client out for dinner or meeting with a potential employer, HPU students are prepared. During internships and once they’ve begun their career, students often reflect and realize the positive impact of PRIME on their life skills development.

“During a second-round interview held over dinner for a competitive internship, I was sitting next the company’s president who asked me questions like, ‘Tell me about the last time you failed.’ I had to answer those questions in a professional manner while I ate, and my HPU education came full circle.” -Ally Pratapas,’20

Ally Pratapas, ’20

“During my internship, I’ve already had multiple lunch and dinner outings with my bosses and co-workers. HPU has equipped me for that tremendously with 1924 Prime. While dining at Prime, I’ve learned proper etiquette skills and expectations for a professional business meal. I feel very comfortable and prepared!”
-Emily Segalla, ’20

“After receiving my job offer, I was invited to attend a new hire reception in Atlanta. I knew I had the manners and know-how to socialize and eat appropriately thanks to luncheons at HPU and my experience in the learning lab of 1924 Prime.
-GR Dulac, ’19, Deloitte

4. PRIME hosts the “Professional Brand Series.” 

1924 PRIME hosts a life skills development program alongside the Career and Professional Development Office, faculty and industry professionals. The series propels students forward on their professional journey. Sessions include:

• CRUSH THE DINNER INTERVIEW
    Tips and techniques to navigate the new interview location of choice for employers – the restaurant.
  • DRESS FOR SUCCESS: HOW TO DEVELOP A BUSINESS WARDROBE
    This series instructs students on what (and what not) to wear for a positive first impression and beyond.
  • LEADERSHIP & LIFE SKILLS
    Students discuss and discover the importance of motivation, personal initiative, coachability and other skills employers say they need most in new hires.
  • THE PATHWAY TO PROFESSIONALISM
    Students are presented with effective strategies to grow their career to c-suite level.

5. PRIME is home to a variety of special events.

With more than 150 Jewish students, one well-established Jewish tradition on campus is the annual Hanukkah dinner held inside 1924 PRIME. The event is hosted by HPU’s chapter of Hillel – the largest Jewish campus organization in the world. Participants dine on matzo ball soup, potato pancakes and jelly doughnuts known as sufganiyot all before lighting the menorah.

Another student-favorite is Tea Time hosted by HPU First Lady Mariana Qubein. Also held during the holiday season, students are invited to fellowship over tea with both Dr. and Mrs. Qubein. They are treated to an assortment of hot teas, festive cranberry sparkling cider and a variety of pastries inside 1924 PRIME.