Class of 2019 Outcomes: Samantha Selleck Finds a Career with Ibotta

With another successful commencement behind us, High Point University seniors have kicked-off prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019: 

Name: Samantha Selleck

Hometown: Sewickley, Pennsylvania

Major: Business administration with a minor in computer science

Post-graduation plans: Selleck joined Ibotta in Denver, Colorado, as a technical marketing associate. The Ibotta app helps people save money with cashback on all of their purchases. She works in the marketing department building and personalizing lifecycle campaigns such as in-app messages, push notifications and emails.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University gave me the tools that helped me get to where I am today. The most important tool I developed there is my confidence. I was given many opportunities to step out of my comfort zone and try new things by participating in focus groups, studying abroad, getting involved in national honor societies, helping younger women find their home at HPU and more. I found strength in my abilities inside and outside of the classroom. Without this, working in the technology industry would have been more challenging and a harder transition. I now know that I am capable of a lot more than I used to think. I used the Office of Career & Professional Development in a few different ways. I was looking at getting an internship my last semester at HPU and I knew immediately that I had to go to the CPD office. Faith Cochran, my internship advisor, was incredibly helpful during that process, showing me all of the best outlets to find an internship. They also assisted with my resume, perfecting it in time for all of my different interviews.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was a professor who I was lucky enough to have in a few different classes, Dr. Kim Titus. She not only helped me through my classes but lent a hand when things outside of class got hard. She was incredibly supportive in my endeavors and guided me through many situations. I am grateful to have had such an amazing professor and mentor.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment while at HPU was a string of moments that happened during the fall of my sophomore year. My schedule was packed with the hardest and most challenging classes I ever took at HPU, and they pushed my limits academically and mentally. I put my heart and soul into each of those courses and while they were difficult and taxing, I am so thankful that I stuck it out and pushed through. After that, I knew I could take on anything. No matter the level of difficulty of the situation, I will come out stronger than ever.”

Advice for underclassmen: “While it is incredibly important to get your name and resume out there, it is even more important maintain relationships. A good impression only lasts for so long, so make sure you are reaching out to those people and willing to put in the effort. I realized quickly how people appreciate the small things. If you don’t hear back from them, don’t feel discouraged, try again. People are incredibly busy and emails get lost. Reach out and be bold.”