Internship Profile: Abbi Cochran Grows at Metrolina Greenhouses

Name: Abbi Cochran

Hometown: Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina

Major: Business administration with a minor in marketing

Internship: Cochran spent the summer as the marketing intern with Metrolina Greenhouses, the largest single-site heated greenhouse in the United States. She had the opportunity to work alongside marketing managers for the Lowe’s, Walmart and Home Depot accounts, and has helped with the creation and design of the Lowe’s 2020 spring lineup and 2020 garden center plan, which will be used at Lowe’s locations across the nation. 

How HPU helped you get there: “The Office of Career and Professional Development played a huge role in shaping my resume, and connected me with Cassandra Diaz, who acted as my peer career advisor during the office’s drop-in hours. In some of my classes, I had the opportunity to do mock interviews, which helped me practice for the real thing to land this position. I also give HPU credit for always keeping me motivated. Finding an internship was not a quick process but I was continuously motivated by my peers and my professors to keep trying!”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor has been another student, Cassandra Diaz, my peer career advisor. She graduated in 2019 after completing impressive internships with the NBA and the NCAA. I truly think she is the most determined and motivated woman I know. She definitely inspired me.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “I’ve learned so many life skills and lessons working for Metrolina Greenhouses. My mentor Kim really focused on showing me how to communicate effectively and efficiently. She also helped me realize that everything doesn’t always go according to plan but sometimes it’s for the best. My biggest takeaway I’ve had is seeing something created from beginning through the end. I’ve worked alongside the photography team, the sales team and the marketing team to create content for the Lowe’s Home Improvement Garden Center and I can’t wait to see what we created at all Lowe’s stores nationwide. Being able to literally stop and smell the flowers every day at my internship has been amazing!”