Internship Profile: Grace Crockett Instructs Programming at Microsoft

Name: Grace Crockett

Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri

Major: A triple major in computer science, marketing and business administration with a minor in sales

Internship: Crockett worked as the programming instructor for Microsoft to teach underprivileged kids, ages from 7 to 15, how to code using JavaScript. She worked 50 hours a week, teaching the kids how to program basic commands, make their own website and eventually, create their own game.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University not only equipped me with the technical skills to succeed at this internship, but gave me an array of life skills to excel. As a computer science major, I was already well versed with the coding aspect of this program ,but HPU really helped me with both getting the internship and thriving in it. Competing for an internship at Microsoft wasn’t easy and was extremely intimidating for me, but I was confident going into the interviews, knowing that the many lessons I had been taught about successful interviewing and networking tips would help me reach my goal. The Office of Career and Professional Development really helped me figure out what I wanted to do. The summer after your first year at college can be tricky to navigate, and I was unsure about how I wanted to grow. However, looking at what other people did and the goals that I wanted to set, encouraged, and developed the Career and Professional Development office, and ultimately helped me narrow my interests into a meaningful summer experience. High Point University equipped me for each of the opportunities and challenges I faced during this internship, and I know that I will continue to grow the lessons I learned from this internship in the classroom. I am very excited for this upcoming semester and am looking forward to further interacting with my professors, mentors, peers and the office of Career Development to hopefully pursue another amazing experience like this one for next summer.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor has been Dr. Stoutner, one of the Phillips School of Business professors. Nearing the end of the school year, we spoke about my summer plans and the uncertainty that I had with figuring out what I wanted to do. He encouraged me to find what I was passionate about, pursue my interests and also recommended a number of programs for me to look into. His vote of confidence and motivation propelled me to go after this internship, even though I was hesitant because I knew that it was out of my comfort zone.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “This was my first internship and it was one with demanding hours, limited communication and a lot of responsibility. Working with a large company like Microsoft, there are a lot of moving parts that required I take the initiative to complete the tasks. However, I could clearly see myself adapting and growing in the position and I found myself handling unforeseen situations with ease. There were many situations the speakers in my business classes addressed directly, which gave me the confidence and guidance I needed. Juggling working with children, captivating their attention for nine hours a day, as well as working with the corporate world, was something demanding, yet exciting. On one hand, the unique parts of this internship were the location carried a great amount of significance. The building where I worked was built right on the location of the QT gas station that burned down in the Furguson riots of 2014. Being at a place of such political and social significance was an incredible opportunity that allowed me to interact and learn in so many different ways.”