Internship Profile: Jake Wilkins Works with the Dallas Mavericks

Name: Jake Wilkins

Hometown: Norwalk, Connecticut

Major: Business administration with a minor in marketing

Internship: Wilkins was the marketing intern for the Dallas Mavericks in Dallas, Texas. He helped create marketing plans and provided input on marketing events, programs and more. Wilkins also worked with other interns from different departments to put together events to further exemplify the innovation of the Dallas Mavericks. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU’s Sports Management Association has helped me tremendously. Learning from other members and the advisors, Dr. Florian Hemme and Dr. Jenny Lukow, combined with the numerous sports conferences we attended, are great experiences for anyone interested in a career in the sports world. This club is also how I met Cynthia Marshall, HPU’s Sports Executive in Residence and the Dallas Mavericks CEO, who helped get me in contact with the right people that led to this internship. The Office of Career and Professional Development also assisted me in making a professional cover letter, resume and LinkedIn profile.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “This internship was amazing and a great way to truly learn how the business world works. I had my own responsibilities rather than getting coffee for someone or helping others with their projects, and everyone is treated like a family. A huge part of that comes from Cynthia Marshall, the Dallas Mavericks CEO and HPU’s Sports Executive in Residence. As an intern, I truly feel like this position let me start my career. I turned in my own projects and had the freedom of creativity to create those projects, programs and ideas. Everyone was always happy to help if a question arose or if I struggled with a specific task. I received an extensive tour in the arena that the Mavericks play in, watched other teams’ professional sports games (like the Texas Rangers baseball game), helped create courts for recreation centers around the Dallas area and played pick-up basketball games in the Mavericks practice facility. This marketing internship has prepared me for the future by giving me real-world experience and allowing me to learn from true sports professionals.”