Class of 2020 Outcomes: Ryan Diaz Joins Liberty Mutual Insurance

With Commencement just around the corner, future High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Ryan Diaz

Hometown: Brentwood, New Hampshire

Major: Computer science with a minor in mathematics 

Post-graduation plans: Diaz will be joining Liberty Mutual Insurance in their TechStart Program in Boston, Massachusetts.  The program includes software development training and placement in positions throughout the company.

How HPU helped you get there: “The growth mindset and opportunities provided by HPU have grown my skillset within my field as well as within other disciplines. I have had the opportunity to work with Steve Wozniak on creating a self-driving golf cart as well as join the nation’s largest co-ed service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, to provide thousands of hours of service to the local community. I also used the Office of Career and Professional Development to edit my resume. They were able to help me reformat it and add professional details that led to my internships and a full-time job. Some parts of my internship, which led to this job, included dinner with recruiters in a formal setting. 1924 Prime, HPU’s fine dining learning lab, provided a setting to learn how to maintain professionalism in these situations and prepared me for the dining components.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Roger Shore, my academic and research advisor, is a great mentor for me. He is always open to questions and always has his door open for students. He takes students to present research, compete in coding competitions and hosts a cookout for the department each year.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Getting to work on the creation of a self-driving golf cart with the mentorship of Steve Wozniak has been one of the most impactful moments I have had at HPU. It has allowed me to expand my knowledge of computer science as well as connect with other students who have a passion for learning.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Keep learning. Stay curious and have fun with everything you do. Seek out opportunities instead of waiting for them, and don’t be afraid to ask for help.”