Class of 2020 Outcomes: Zach Quimby Campaigns for Congress

Apr 28th, 2020

With Commencement just around the corner, future High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Zach Quimby

Hometown: Providence Forge, Virginia

Major: Political science and history

Post-graduation plans: Quimby joins Alan Swain for Congress as campaign manager in May. Alan is running to represent North Carolina’s Second District in the United States House of Representatives.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU is the reason I got where I am. During my first two years, HPU instilled in me the importance of life skills – professionalism, communication and courage. My junior year, I applied these skills to the real world and landed an internship onboard a local statehouse campaign. Working alongside a dedicated team, we delivered a decisive victory for the representative. Throughout that campaign, I used my life skills to build lasting connections with people in politics. Those same connections recommended me for the campaign staff of Alan Swain, where I will begin as campaign manager next month. While the classroom portion of my education was critical, HPU’s unparalleled focus on life skills complemented things I learned in the classroom to shape me into a person who is able to navigate the ever-evolving field of politics. In addition, I attended many sessions hosted by the Office of Career and Professional Development, each of which helped me to boost my resume skills and professionalism in the workplace.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Two mentors helped me become who I am today: Dr. Ali Yanus and Dr. Larry Simpson. Dr. Simpson showed me what a true mentor is. From the moment I took his Western Civilizations course, I knew that someday I wanted to be a professor. His captivating lectures and his attention to student success provided me with a role model for how I want to teach one day. Throughout my four years at High Point University, Dr. Simpson helped me to complete various undergraduate research projects, which led me to my first publication in HPU’s undergraduate journal, Innovation. Throughout it all, Dr. Simpson was always there to support my academic and professional endeavors.  Dr. Yanus introduced me to the world of politics. She was always willing to discuss current affairs, and it was in her introductory American Politics course that my passion for politics was confirmed. Dr. Yanus helped me to improve both my written and verbal communication skills, two skills that will be key in the political and the educational professions. She helped me to perfect my research design for my senior thesis. Throughout my four years, Dr. Yanus has been one of my biggest supporters in all of my endeavors, both academic and professional.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was when I became a peer mentor. My time at HPU had come completely full-circle when I was able to help twenty freshmen here at High Point University. It was refreshing to see their enthusiasm and passion for success, and ushering them into this next phase of life was key for my leadership development.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice for underclassmen is simple: take risks. When I was a freshman, I was nervous and hesitant about going to my first Colleges Against Cancer club meeting, but I took the risk and went out of my comfort zone to do it. Three years later, I’m president of the club and lead the efforts that raised over $11,000 for the American Cancer Society. Throughout your experience here at HPU, take those risks. Take the class that scares you. Take the toughest professor. Join that club you’re nervous to join. Doing so will prepare you for making a seamless transition out of your undergraduate career and into your life.”