The history program at High Point University prepares students for a changing world by helping them understand their place in the broader human experience. Our students apply the skills they learn in the major — research, analysis, writing and communication — to any path they choose in life, whether it is in academia or a professional or business career. Students of history learn to think critically, analyze complex issues, make sagacious inferences, and contribute meaningful insights.
Why should I major in history at HPU?
- Develop skills to prepare for work in any field: how to conduct research, analyze findings, draw evidence-based conclusions and present findings to the public
- Abilty to think critically, analyze complex issues, make sagacious inferences and contribute meaningful insights
- Take courses in the history of North America, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, Asia and Africa
- Professors who enhance learning through unique instruction techniques and innovative ideas
- History is a versatile undergraduate major because it touches upon all forms of human endeavor from arts and languages to sciences and economics
What can I do with this major?
Students with degrees in history can enter careers such as:
- Advertising Executive
- Business Professional
- Campaign Worker
- Congressional Aide
- History Teacher
- Public Relations Staffer
- Real Estate Agent
- White House Aide
Every fall, High Point University hosts the Gunther E. Rothenberg Seminar in Military History, a tribute to Professor Rothenberg’s scholarship and dedication to the field of military history. A world-renowned military historian, he authored scores of books and articles on a wide-range of military history, with particular emphasis on the Habsburg Empire and the Napoleonic Wars. Leading scholars have been invited to present their most recent research, and latest interpretations with a changing military history theme each year. Their papers serve as a point of departure for extensive discussion and debate of the subject matter. The seminar is opened to the university community and the public. Students and scholars from across the country attend this prestigious event.
History majors have studied abroad at Oxford Brooks University and Westminster College in Oxford, England, St. Andrews University in Scotland and the University of Swansea in Wales.
Our professors have led study abroad programs in the past to Université de Paris – Est Créteil, Oxford Brookes University and to Prague, Czech Republic. Additionally, our professors have led students in Maymester trips along the Mississippi River, China and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
The department sponsors Phi Alpha Theta, a history honors society, and a History Club open not only to students majoring in history, but also to those students who have an interest in learning about the past. History majors have completed internships at:
- Local legal firms
- Old Salem in Winston-Salem, N.C.
- High Point Museum
- Naval History and Heritage Command
- Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C.
Commitment to excellence
The history program at High Point University prepares students for a changing world by helping them understand their place in the broader human experience. Our students apply the skills they learn in the major—planning and conducting research, analysis, writing and communication— to any path they choose in life, whether it is in academia or a professional or business career. History majors learn to think critically, analyze complex issues, make sagacious inferences and contribute meaningful insights.