Class of 2020 Outcomes: Amanda Jacobs Recruits for Medix

Apr 30th, 2020

IMG_2841-e1627061578577.jpg
Amanda Jacobs
North Haven, Connecticut
Sales
Internship / Job
Recruiter
Medix

With Commencement just around the corner, future High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Amanda Jacobs

Hometown: North Haven, Connecticut

Major: Sales

Post-graduation plans: Jacobs joins Medix as a recruiter in Tampa, Florida. For her first year, she will be training to step into a client-facing sales role. Medix helps companies in the health care industry reach their goals by finding top talent to join their teams.

How HPU helped you get there: “There are so many people and events at HPU that helped me get to where I am today. The Office for Career and Professional Development gave me the building blocks for success by helping me get started with a resume, LinkedIn profile and knowledge on how to search for jobs. The classes I took for my sales major helped me build confidence by doing mock interviews, mock sales pitches, sitting in on panels with recruiters from reputable companies and giving sales team presentations. Even my professors from my non-major courses were always there to lend a helping hand or words of advice. I would not be who I am today if not for the caring staff at HPU! I first went to the Office of Career and Professional Development my sophomore year, as I needed help building my resume and LinkedIn. Within an hour, I had not only left with what I was looking for, but also with the knowledge on how to express myself professionally. I was taught how to edit my resume as I added job experience, and how to showcase this experience on LinkedIn, which helped me land several internships and jobs over the years. I would not be the young professional I am today if I had not taken advantage of this incredible resource that HPU offers to its students.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The most impactful mentor for me at HPU was Randy Moser. I took several of my major courses with him over the years, and he quickly became someone I knew I could go to for help and advice. He would always ask us for permission for him to coach us, which is something that I loved and something that really helped me find myself and figure out what my purpose is. Whenever I needed help with interviews and advice on jobs, he was there with an open door and a listening ear. He goes above and beyond for not only his students but all students at HPU, and I would not have gotten to where I am today without his guidance.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment for me at HPU was the Sales Career Fair that happened in February of this year. I was looking for opportunities, and I was incredibly nervous. I decided to step outside of my comfort zone and attend, and I am so thankful that I did! Just from that career fair, I landed four interviews, and one company even invited me to fly out to their headquarters for an interview! Although I didn’t accept any offers from this fair, the event helped me  network and build confidence in myself that will last a lifetime.”

Advice for underclassmen: “I cannot stress this enough — put yourself in uncomfortable situations. Take classes that aren’t necessarily in your wheelhouse, sign up for events you normally wouldn’t attend, and say yes to every opportunity HPU places in your path, no matter how scary it may be. Who you are when you come to HPU and who you are four years later when you are leaving this place will be two different people in the best way possible. I have grown and matured so much since I came to HPU, and all of that came from experiencing new things I was not comfortable with yet. Whether it be a career fair, or a club meeting, or even a class with a subject you’ve never learned before, try it. You never know what you’ll learn about yourself!”