Class of 2020 Outcomes: Alexa Kummrow Continues her Communication Education

With another successful Commencement behind us, future High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Alexa Kummrow

Hometown: Wales, Wisconsin

Major: Strategic communication with a minor in journalism

Post-graduation plans: Kummrow will be attending Villanova University to pursue a master’s degree in communication. 

How HPU helped you get there: “I received unmatched help and personalized attention in a family-like atmosphere from the Nido R. Qubein School of Communication. Many professors helped to advise me, which led to my acceptance at Villanova. I was looking for faculty who could understand my goals and HPU provided that supportive environment. This is an experience I would have never received at other schools. I am incredibly thankful to call HPU my home for the past three years. In college, you really need to use your resources to take full advantage and HPU made this incredibly easy for me. Experiential learning was also a huge part of my academic growth at HPU. Through the Honors Scholar Program, I participated in research-based courses which helped me grow not only as a learner but as a problem-solver and creative thinker. The Media Fellows program also included opportunities for me to gain industry professional contacts in Los Angeles and learn alongside a cohort who supported and encouraged me. Thanks to these invaluable experiences I was able to secure promising opportunities at each of my top grad schools. I chose to pursue an M.A. in Communication at Villanova with a full graduate assistantship working in the Office of University Communication and Marketing at Villanova. I utilized the Office of Career and Professional Development to discuss interview tactics for graduate school. I knew that practicing my interview skills would help me immeasurably in the application process. I met with Kellie McLeod who was extremely helpful in assisting for an upcoming interview. We discussed possible answers to common questions that were specifically catered to me and performed a mock interview. HPU’s emphasis on the appearance of my LinkedIn and online portfolio also helped me prioritize my online image to potential schools.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “There are many faculty members who I am extremely grateful to call mentors. Among these are Dr. Curtis Matthews and Dr. Dean Smith from the School of Communication. I met with them at length to discuss my future goals and how to achieve them. They were tremendously helpful in preparing and advising me.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was meeting with my advisor as a freshman. We determined my college plan to graduate in three years. I am unbelievably excited and grateful to have reached this goal. This was my most memorable moment because of how possible it is at HPU to set a goal and truly reach it. Trust that if you work hard you can do anything at HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Think ahead. For me, I researched graduate school before my senior year and applied early. It took a lot of dedication and preparedness to take the GRE, plan for letters of recommendation, write application essays and more. Cultivating relationships with faculty is key. I am so thankful to the faculty and staff at HPU for helping me prepare for life beyond HPU.”