Class of 2020 Outcomes: Gabrielle LoCurto Utilizes Biology Major to Pursue Duke Master’s Degree

May 01st, 2020

Gabrielle-LoCurto-scaled.jpg
Gabrielle LoCurto
Syracuse, New York
Biology

With Commencement just around the corner, future High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Gabrielle LoCurto

Hometown: Syracuse, New York

Major: Biology with a concentration in health sciences and a psychology minor

Post-graduation plans: LoCurto will be attending Duke University’s School of Medicine to pursue a Master’s in Biomedical Sciences.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has been a catalyst in so many ways to help me achieve my goals. Academically, my professors were always willing to go above and beyond to ensure my success. Little things like staying after class to answer my questions or emailing me back on weekends when I was preparing for an exam went a long way in fostering a positive learning environment for me. Further, my professors pushed me to challenge myself with material and ‘go the extra mile’ to learn complex processes or topics. Beyond academics, the staff at HPU have illustrated the importance of compassion, kindness and humility. From my daily Starbucks visits, to passing Campus Enhancement workers, I was always greeted with a smile and warm-heartedness. I will truly miss HPU. When I was first considering a master’s program, my objective was to create a resume that reflected my hard work and love for learning through my experiences at HPU. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me create this resume and dedicated themselves to putting together an ideal summary of my involvement both on and off campus. The office’s attention to detail and commitment to my success drove my resume to a professional level, ultimately helping me secure a spot in a graduate program at Duke University.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My mentor at HPU has been Dr. Jackson Sparks, both as my advisor and as my professor for advanced genetics last semester. Dr. Sparks truly cares about the success of his students, along with their future endeavors. As my advisor, Dr. Sparks met with me frequently to discuss my goals and guide me through my time at HPU. He helped me with my internship last summer and assisted me in course planning every semester. Dr. Sparks challenges his student to apply material to real-life topics and labs, which furthered my understanding.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was my time spent volunteering off-campus at the Community Clinic of High Point. This opportunity was presented to me through the Biology Department. The clinic was in need of volunteers, so I joined their volunteer team in early 2019. As a registered pharmacy technician, I gained valuable experience that exposed me to the real-world application of what I had only been accustomed to seeing in textbooks. Further, I have acquired a deeper understanding of compassion and empathy for others, along with reaffirming my passion for helping those in need.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice for underclassmen would be to broaden your view of success. When I entered college, I was very narrow-minded in the sense that I believed grades were the only measure of success. Success comes from the cumulation of your experiences, not just from academics. While academics are important, they are not the only dimension to achievement. Success will not look the same for everyone, but it is important to define what success looks like to you, without comparing yourself to others. You might find success in academics, involvement, volunteer work, internships, etc. Whatever your definition of success looks like, HPU will help you achieve it.”