Class of 2020 Outcomes: Ally Pratapas Markets for Marzano Capital

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Ally Pratapas

Hometown: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Major: Strategic communication with a minor in sales

Post-graduation plans: Pratapas joins Marzano Capital as a marketing associate where she works in-house to create content, handle all public relations matters, and increase community and social engagement.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU prepared me to get to this point in every way possible. My mentors on campus encouraged me to never stop striving. My involvement on campus, my leadership roles and my summer internships allowed me to develop as a young professional and grow my soft skills. Finally, the all-round inspiring environment had me ready to wake up and win each and every day. I started using the Office of Career and Professional Development within my first semester of freshman year after taking an intro strategic communications class with Dr. Hall. It quickly became a landing place for me to build myself as a professional and achieve my goals. I was constantly making appointments with advisors to talk things over, I utilized the peer career advisors dozens of times to perfect my resume, and I eventually helped facilitate some panels for career fairs to speak about my experiences. It was one of the places on campus that I utilized consistently throughout my four years.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I had so many people impact me during my time at HPU, it’s hard to name just one. My advisor Phil Watson was so incredibly helpful in all that I did throughout my major. I knew that I could come to him for career advice or class advice. Lindsay Scott was also very impactful throughout my time at HPU and truly helped me navigate the steps in my career to get me to this point. Finally, working in admissions offered me a whole team of mentors that I could lean on for any type of support.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I became a University Ambassador, giving tours to prospective families. I had such a positive experience touring campus when I was an incoming freshman that I wanted to create the same experience for other families. Having the opportunity to connect with new people each week, hear their stories and share my HPU story was the best. I cherish that experience still to this day, and I am so grateful for all of the skills and opportunities it created for me.”

Advice for underclassmen: “If you know exactly what you want out of life, and you’re willing to work hard to get there, you can do anything! While I was at HPU, I was always grateful for the residence halls, dining options, community and resources on campus. It showed me what I and each of my peers deserved and made me realize I never wanted to settle for anything less. I have a clear outlook of what I want out of my career (thanks to HPU) and what I deserve (also thanks to HPU), and I’ll never stop working hard to maintain that.”