Internship Profile: Joseph Maronski Practices Public Relations

Name: Joseph Maronski

Hometown: Miller Place, New York

Major: Journalism with a minor in Italian studies

Internship: Maronski joined the Suffolk County Police Department as a public relations and social media management intern to the police commissioner. Maronski worked with the police department to provide a fresh perspective and help the department build relations within the community, specifically with minorities. He worked on numerous videos as well as social media content to increase transparency between the community and the police department. 

How HPU helped you get there: “Without the support from my professors and mentors at HPU, I would not have been able to get this internship. Each day I am on campus, I learn in ways that I never could have expected. The life lessons and professional lessons I learn make me a better person each day. Before we left campus, I was able to set up a meeting with Dr. Hall in the Office of Career and Professional Development. He and I got to sit down and weigh all of my options for this year. We created a four-year plan and set goals for me to work towards. When students left campus, Dr. Hall was there to help and stood by me to ensure I was successful every step of the way. Overall, I know I wouldn’t be able to have secured this internship without the support of the Office of Career and Professional Development.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was my Success Coach, Giselle Mansi. Giselle has been there for me every step of the way. Whenever I have any questions, I know she is always there to help. I am so grateful for the professional, academic and emotional support I have received from Giselle and I know I wouldn’t be where I am without her.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “This internship has allowed me to learn something new every day. Each day, I grow as a professional and learn how to make content that truly engages audiences and builds relationships.”