Class of 2020 Outcomes: Laney Badulis Utilizes Her Communication Major

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Laney Badulis

Hometown: Raleigh, North Carolina

Major: Strategic communication

Post-graduation plans: Badulis joins Earl Swensson Associates as the marketing and communications specialist in Nashville, Tennessee. She is responsible for creating request for proposals (RFPs) as well as crafting various marketing/communications collateral such as press releases and social media content.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU really does nurture a growth mindset. My classes were current and ahead of the trends. I was able to learn real-world concepts in the classroom, which turned out to be very applicable when feeling confident in my new profession. My professors were always willing to help in any way possible, both in class and during my job search. HPU gave me a foundation for continuous growth and a community that continues to support me through it all. I went to the Office of Career and Professional Development quite often during the school year. Everyone in the office is extremely personable and genuinely wanted to help any way they could. They are such a useful tool at HPU and really help to differentiate you from the rest.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Emily Long, my career advisor, is my most impactful mentor at HPU. She was my lifeline in a way. She was always more than willing to be there for me for any need. Even after graduation, I still schedule calls with her at least once a month. Emily kept me polished and prepared for interviews or calls that came my way. During the pandemic and stress it brought on, she was even there just to listen and give support. I am so grateful HPU has given me the opportunity to have an awesome mentor like Emily.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “There are too many to choose from! One of my most impactful moments I will never forget were my weekly 1924 Prime dinners with my friends. At Prime, I learned how to be professional while sharing quality time with my friends – it was the best of both worlds. There are things I continue to do to this day that I have learned over a simple Prime dinner.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Go to the Office of Career and Professional Development. Go to the internship panels. Go try everything. HPU has these incredible resources, but it is up to you on how you utilize them. With that being said – as a member of the class whose graduation had to be held virtually, remember to soak in everything. Hang out with friends. Prioritize yourself and your well-being. Participate in class. Try new things. These four years go by in the blink of an eye – go all in and have no regrets.”