Class of 2021 Outcomes: Mia Krone Nurtures an Interest in Nursing

With another Commencement quickly approaching, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Mia Krone

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois

Major: Exercise science with a minor in French

Post-graduation plans: Krone will be attending Vanderbilt University for the Nurse Practitioner Master Program in Nashville, Tennessee. 

How HPU helped you get there: “What makes HPU special is the relationship between faculty and students. The professors here helped push, encourage, and motivate me to not only find where my talents were best suited but find what I was passionate about. Dr. Vaughan, Dr. Tarara and so many more helped mentor me and are the reason I am able to pursue a master’s in nursing.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Vaughan helped me starting sophomore year when I was confused on where I wanted to be post graduation. He encouraged me to explore alternate careers with my exercise science degree. He also invited me to work with him on his research. While I worked with him through my senior year, he offered constructive feedback and guidance as I worked through what I wanted to do. In the end of my junior year and going into my senior year I decided to pursue a Master in Science of Nursing. Dr. Vaughan helped write recommendations and offered advice when I was trying to decide between programs. Overall, Dr. Vaughan taught me great skills in the lab and offered invaluable advice outside of the lab.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I was initiated into Alpha Chi Omega. I had no idea when I was a freshman the impact that Alpha Chi would have on me. It gave me my closest friends, leadership positions and incredible opportunities and memories.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Find community. Plug yourself into community outside work or school. Find true support systems that not only encourage you but challenge you to be your best selves.”