Class of 2021 Outcomes: Tessa Martin Continues to Graduate School

With another Commencement quickly approaching, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Tessa Martin

Hometown: Westlake Village, California

Major: Psychology

Post-graduation plans: Martin will be attending Clemson University to pursue a M.Ed./Ed.S. in Counselor Education with a focus in clinical mental health counseling.

How HPU helped you get there: “From the beginning, HPU prepares you to exceed your potential. I was pushed beyond even my own expectations and achieved more than I thought was ever possible. They provide you with every single resource you could ever need, it’s up to you to take advantage of it. HPU showed me a network of successful people who were in my shoes just years before. I had an infinite amount of mentors and advisors and role models that there was no doubt I would be one of the success stories I constantly read about. The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me land a dream internship for credit during my junior year. Faith Cochran advised me in my goals I wanted to achieve during my internship semester at ABC of NC and guided me towards getting the most out of what little time I would have there. They looked over my resume, which ultimately was sent off to internships, landing me a second one for summer before my senior year, before COVID derailed everything.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Hundt in the psychology department has been one of my biggest supporters since day one. As the only freshman in an advanced psychology statistics class, he personally made sure I was acclimated properly with the university and the department. He saw my potential from that class and recommended me to tutor for him, offering me the opportunity to grow personally and professionally. He took me under his wing and agreed to advise me for my final year at the university. His recommendation for me to grad school along with the guidance he gave me throughout the process made me truly believe I could go on to further my education. He responded to every single email I sent him no matter the time of day and sat down with me to discuss my options, referring me to a colleague when he couldn’t answer the question himself. He made me believe in myself by him believing in me from the beginning.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “To say I had one singular impactful moment at HPU would be downplaying the true impact this university has had on me as an individual and as a student. The most impactful moments I have had at HPU happening in each and every one of my psychology classes. Learning about a topic that I am passionate about with professors who are not only equally as passionate about the topic but also about the mental health and well being of their students is something truly unique to both this university and the psychology department. The support I felt was never ending and each of my psychology professors have moved me in ways they will never truly be able to understand.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to be the underdog. Go for the research position when you’re a freshman. Take that advanced major course before the rest of your peers. The only way to truly grow and excel in your environment is to push yourself out of your comfort zone. Never be afraid to be the youngest or the least experienced or a different major than the rest. You can learn something from everyone on this campus, no matter their background, especially because of their background.”