Internship Profile: Dylan Linn Works with WGHP

Name: Dylan Linn

Hometown: Fort Mill, South Carolina

Major: Media production and entrepreneurship

Internship: Linn has been interning with WGHP FOX8 in High Point as a studio technician. He has operated various studio and production equipment such as camera, teleprompter, light board and audio board. He also has worked with the studio operations manager to prep for productions, i.e. lighting, set construction, set displays, along with studio and prop room cleanup and organization. Linn worked closely with the director of each newscast to prepare camera shots and cue anchors when they are about to go live.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me get where I am now by allowing me the opportunities to work within our TV studio and control room in the Nido Qubein School of Communication. This has allowed me to better understand the fundamentals of a studio and how a studio production is prepped and executed. I’ve been given opportunities with professors based on the knowledge I have gained to utilize our remote gear and do multi-camera setups at various locations around campus and the Triad. My professors have been instrumental in my experiential process and gave me insight into the industry. In addition, I also have been able to collaborate with our athletic department on their broadcasts to work various production jobs like director and producer that get streamed directly to ESPN+. All of this is made possible through the life skills that you gain while being at High Point University. Utilizing the Office of Career and Professional Development has been big help in the process. I was able to sit down with an advisor to go over and build my resume and cover letter to help better prepare the skills that I have learned into a more formal fashion.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “My most impactful mentor at HPU would be our Broadcaster in Residence Joe Michaels. Professor Michaels has been able to give me an insight as to what the news industry is like and what to prepare for while in it. He also has allowed me opportunities to work with him and other professors on production shoots around campus and the Triad area.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has been amazing and has been able to give me an in-person insight as to what its like to be at a news station and the sort of environment it holds. Working at WGHP FOX8 has given me the ability to better understand the industry I am about to go into and what to prepare for after graduation.”