Class of 2021 Outcomes: Sarah Shields Decides on a Juris Doctorate

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Sarah Shields

Hometown: Erie, Pennsylvania

Major: International business with a minor in French and Francophone Studies

Post-graduation plans: Shields will be attending University of Virginia School of Law to pursue a Juris Doctorate.

How HPU helped you get there: “I am grateful for the ways in which HPU prepared me for internships, interviews and networking. I feel I was provided the perfect balance of guidance and support while also being given room to learn from my own experiences. I am also extremely grateful for my many mentors and professors at HPU who have supported me along the way. I went to the Office of Career and Professional Development freshman year to gain insight and feedback on my resume. Their tips helped me craft and polish my resume in the subsequent years.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I am grateful for many mentors at HPU. Dr. Stoutner was an incredible advisor for my time as a business fellow. Dr. Leclercq’s mentorship also had a huge impact on my success in the French department. In my journey to law school, Dr. Ingram has been an amazing advisor. His mentorship as my Pre-Law advisor was instrumental in my success during this application cycle. Additionally, his courses helped prepare me for the type of work required in law school and I am so grateful for those experiences.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was joining Alpha Phi Omega, the co-ed service fraternity. I am grateful for my time in that organization and the experiences, lessons, and friends it brought me. It was a pleasure to serve alongside my wonderful brothers and I am so happy I joined freshman year.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassmen is to always keep their goals in mind. Law school has been my lifelong dream; having that thought in the back of mind for my three years of undergrad was what kept me going. It can be difficult to push ahead but it is always worth it!”