Internship Profile: Jessica Marley Interns in the High Point Community

Name: Jessica Marley

Hometown: Westchester, New York

Major: Interior design with a minor in marketing

Internship: Marley joins Jonathan Charles Fine Furniture as a creative development intern where she assists with product board creation, product research and all things furniture and organization.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped me in more ways than I could have imagined. Ever since I was a freshman I have been presented with opportunities to help me prepare for my future, starting with the opportunity to go to HPU in NYC my freshman year. Through classes, the help of career and professional development and HPU as a whole; I have grown so much and feel very confident reaching for my goals. I have been able to work directly for some of the best designers in the country thanks to the resources and mentors at High Point. HPU made me realize I can achieve my dreams and shoot for the stars. I met with the Office of Career and Professional Development throughout the semester in order to discuss the best ways to find an internship mid pandemic. I was struggling with finding design firms that were taking internships and wanted to plan for the future. After meeting with Career and Professional Development I found a job posting on purple briefcase and got in contact with Jonathan Charles from there!”

Most Impactful Mentor: “Brandon Jones has been one of my most impactful mentors at HPU. This year was a struggle for everyone as we were getting used to our new way of life. Mr. Jones was always so supportive of us in the classroom and knew how much of a hard time we were having in terms of school, having our study abroad canceled and the constant uncertainty. Mr. Jones was always very supportive of me through my internship search, questions/concerns about the future and everything design related.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “Internships are very important to be able to get a glimpse into your field of interest in a real world setting. My internship with Jonathan Charles allows me to work in many different aspects of design which I love and also get a lot of experience. I love getting experience in any way I can and being able to get experience in Interior Design, Furniture Design, Creative Development and overall organization is amazing and will be great in preparing me for the future.”