Class of 2021 Outcomes: Dylan Linn Hones in on the Gastonia Honey Hunters

Jul 03rd, 2021

Dylan Linn
Dylan Linn
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Media Production and Entrepreneurship
Internship / Job
Promotions and Control Room Manager
Gastonia Honey Hunters

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Dylan Linn

Hometown: Fort Mill, South Carolina

Major: Media production and entrepreneurship

Post-graduation plans: Linn joins the Gastonia Honey Hunters Baseball Team as the promotions and control room manager.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me get where I am now by allowing me the opportunities to work within our TV studio and control room in the Nido Qubein School of Communication. This allowed me to better understand the fundamentals of how to direct and manage personnel along with the technical needs to support. I’ve been given opportunities with professors based on the knowledge I have gained to utilize our remote gear and do multi-camera setups at various locations around campus and the Triad. My professors have been instrumental in my experiential process and gave me insight into the industry. In addition, I also have been able to collaborate with our athletic department on their broadcasts to work various production jobs like director and producer that get streamed directly to ESPN+. All of this is made possible through the life skills that you gain while being at High Point University. Utilizing the Office of Career and Professional Development has been big help in the process. I sat down with an advisor to go over and build my resume and cover letter to help better prepare the skills that I have learned into a more formal fashion. The Office of Career and Professional Development team allowed me the opportunity to create and build my resume and cover letter to make it professional to help land the current position in which I hold.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU would be our Broadcaster in Residence Joe Michaels. Professor Michaels has been able to give me an insight as to what the news and sports industry is like and what to prepare for while in it. He also has allowed me opportunities to work with him and other professors on production shoots around campus and in the Triad area.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU would be the ability to work and learn from professors who have worked within the media industry. This allowed me to learn from professionals directly in the classroom and through projects across campus and in the community.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassman would be to get involved in the various clubs across campus, get to know your professors, and utilize the various resources that are available to you such as the Career & Professional Development team and Student Success Coaches.”