Class of 2021 Outcomes: Ragan Keefer Transitions to Theatre Directing

Jul 08th, 2021

IMG 2870
Ragan Keefer
Lynchburg, Virginia
Theatre

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Ragan Keefer

Hometown: Lynchburg, Virginia

Major: Theatre and performance with a minor in musical theatre

Post-graduation plans: Keefer will be attending the University of East London to pursue an MFA in Theatre Directing.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me the skill set that I needed to succeed in the real world. Through my classes I was able to improve upon having a growth mindset attitude towards everything over my four years which is something that HPU really values students learning.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Overall everyone in the theater department has made a huge impact on me in one way or another but my most impactful mentor for grad schools and at HPU was Jay Putnam. I’ve worked with Jay since my freshman year at HPU and he was eventually my advisor. He really helped me look for schools, looked and helped with my resumes, gave me feedback on my senior directing project that was performed through Alpha Psi Omega (the theater fraternity), cheered me on as I got acceptance letters for grad schools and he’s part of the reason why I decided to go into directing for theater. His directing class is what pushed me farther into a pathway for directing. I definitely wouldn’t be going to grad school if it weren’t for him helping me along the way.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was my student produced work that I directed this year. Doing theater in a pandemic has many challenges and rules to follow. I was nervous that doing a show I absolutely adored in a pandemic with social distancing guidelines would discourage me and it wouldn’t be what I hope it would because of COVID. If anything this show was everything I wanted it to be and reminded me of how much I love theater and that directing was the pathway for me. The positive comments and the support from the theater department gave me the encouragement and confidence I needed.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to take risks! You only have four years and it goes by very quickly. You don’t think it will at first but trust me, it does. Also listen to your advisors and go to them when you need help or have questions. They’re there to help and guide you to obtain the career pathway that you want. Lastly, try new things, put yourself out there, and most importantly, enjoy your time at HPU.”