Internship Profile: Ashlyn Hanks Computes for Digital Cloak

Jul 12th, 2021

IMG 3156
Ashlyn Hanks
Raleigh, North Carolina
Computer Science
Internship / Job
Technical Intern
Digital Cloak LLC

Name: Ashlyn Hanks

Hometown: Raleigh, North Carolina

Major: Computer science with a minor in business administration

Internship: Hanks joins Digital Cloak LLC as a technical intern. She works on three different project teams and each team is tasked with different items to help benefit the company and their customers. Tasks include scanning networks to find vulnerabilities, proposing patches for weaknesses within networks, analyzing and collecting data, and using different open source intelligence tools.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me to get here by granting me so many opportunities. I was able to have hands-on experiences through classrooms, clubs and undergraduate research. My teachers and advisors serve as a strong support system that go above and beyond. I attended multiple workshops in the Office of Career and Professional Development. They helped me to perfect my elevator pitch, be confident in interviews and know what I value in an employer.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “Dr. Kimberly Titus in the computer science department. She is my academic advisor and has always been there for me. The spring of my freshman year she encouraged me to submit my undergraduate research to the Carolina Women in Computing Conference, where I ended up being the only undergraduate student asked to present. She has sat with me for hours making sure that my class schedule is perfect, that I am not overextending myself, and most importantly, making sure that I know that I have someone who is in my corner.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “It has been such an incredible experience. I have been able to continue to pursue cybersecurity in a professional environment. Although it is remote, I attend meetings and am in constant contact with my fellow interns and superiors. This is the type of company that I wish to work for in the future. They intend on keeping me on the team through the school year, so I can continue working and doing what I hope to do in the future.”