Class of 2021 Outcomes: Kara Ramsey Analyzes Patents

Aug 29th, 2021

CBBECDC7 8B82 4CB8 8D94 40ED75B1D969

CBBECDC7 8B82 4CB8 8D94 40ED75B1D969

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Kara Ramsey

Hometown: Denver, North Carolina

Major: Business administration with a minor in studio art

Post-graduation plans: Ramsey joins Neo IP as an intellectual property analyst, where she reads and analyzes patents to predict market trends, potential mergers and acquisitions in assigned sectors.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU not only gave me an excellent education but also gave me the confidence to know I can succeed at anything. Through presentations, office hours, papers, seminars and more, I built a network, confidence and the skills to be where I am now. The Phillips School of Business also instills practical business skills in its students to better prepare them for office settings. Overall, HPU has made me a better, well-rounded student, friend, sister, daughter and employee. The Office of Career and Professional Development also assisted me in reviewing my resumes and cover letters to ensure they were up to professional standards.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor was Mark Setzler. I originally started off in the political science department, and his classes not only prepared me for law school but taught me that being human and making mistakes is okay and taking a mental health day is okay. He helped me become the person I am today, and for that, I am extremely grateful to have had him as a professor.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My graduation. The fact that HPU made it possible to have an in-person graduation in the middle of a pandemic was easily the most impactful moment for me. It was a beautiful day, everyone was happy to be there and every speaker wrapped what it meant to be an HPU student in a nice little bow. ”

Advice for underclassmen: “Put yourself out there. I didn’t get my job by saying I was going to apply and then putting it off. It’s okay if you don’t think you are 100% qualified. By being confident and showing that you will give it 100%, you are already a step ahead. Also, leverage your skills. HPU gives you everything you need to be successful. Use that to show an employer that not only do you have the skills, but you’re willing to grow and learn more.”